Change formula to reference cell in another worksheet

LJP85

Hello all

I have a question about how to edit the formula below so that it looks up a result in an external workbook (rather than in another tab).

=INDIRECT("'" & $D$8 & "'!"&ADDRESS(ROW(H95),COLUMN(H95),4))

A spreadsheet that I completed with a bit of help from this forum (thank you again!!) is getting far too many tabs (currently around 30 and likely to at least double). I thought that it may be better than rather having each tab as a point of reference, separate Excel worksheets would easier to navigate between/edit/add to.

For example if cell D8 contained the word "ITEM-A", the cell will then return the result from ROW(H95),COLUMN(H95) on the worksheet named ITEM-A.xlsx

All of these external workbooks could be saved in the same file as the 'master' spreadsheet, however if they were stored in a sub-folder that would also be fine.

I have been trying to work this out myself but my Excel abilities are still somewhat lacking.

Any help would again be really appreciated!

Thank you for your time.

LJP

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
You put the other workbook name in square brackets
example
=INDIRECT("'" &[OtherWorkbook] & $D$8 & "'!"&ADDRESS(ROW(H95),COLUMN(H95),4))

Upvote 0
Hello JLGWhiz

Thanks for the quick reply.

This seems like it would work if I always wanted to reference the same external worksheet. However if I had 30 different worksheets and the one I wanted to reference was based on the result in cell D8, how could I include this in the formula?

Thanks again!

Lawrence

Upvote 0
Concatenate the book name the same way you did the sheet name. And the bookname goes in [brackets]

=INDIRECT("'[" & $D$1 & "]" & $D$8 & "'!"&ADDRESS(ROW(H95),COLUMN(H95),4))

D1 = Book name
D8 = Sheet name

FYI, that external book must be open for the formula to work. Indirect will not be able to reference a closed external workbook.

Upvote 0
Thank you Jonmo1. Hmm... I didn't realise that the other workbooks have to be open for the Indirect formula to work. That might be a bit of a problem because there might be about 60 external files and each time I use the main spreadsheet it will use a different 10 - 15 workbooks as sources of reference.

Is there a similar formula which I can use that doesn't require all the other workbooks to be open?

Thanks again.

LJP

Upvote 0
There is an addon called MoreFunc (see the recommended addins thread in this forum)

However, I honestly recommend going back to your original setup and keep it all in one book.
Further, I would recommend not even having separate sheets.
Keep ALL the data on 1 sheet (row limitations withstanding of coarse)
And Add a column where you indicate a key name (what used to be the tab names).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
surendra75

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back