chart/query help

conorn55

Hi guys
So I have made an excel document containing the price of an asset on two different exchanges, i have a query set up so that it gets the information from the server and automatically update the two cells every minute, that all works fine. However I would like to plot the change in the price over time (as i have no access to historical data for the assets from the server). I am having lots of trouble with this, as when ever the cell updates it overwrites the previous data and I no longer have access to it.
Is there any way to save the data somewhere before it is overwritten ?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Conor

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
Hi Conor,

It is possible to save the values using the Change Event. Assuming that your data is in Sheet1, go to VBA window (Alt+F11), double-click on "Sheet1" and paste the following code:

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    Dim lngLastRow          As Long

If Intersect(Target, Range("[COLOR=#ff0000][B]A1[/B][/COLOR]")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub

If Len(Range("[B][COLOR=#ff8c00]D1[/COLOR][/B]")) > 0 Then
        lngLastRow = Cells(Rows.Count, "[COLOR=#ffa500][B]D[/B][/COLOR]").End(xlUp).Row
        Range("[COLOR=#ff8c00][B]D[/B][/COLOR]" & lngLastRow + 1).Value = Range("[COLOR=#ff0000][B]A1[/B][/COLOR]").Value
        Range("[COLOR=#40e0d0][B]C[/B][/COLOR]" & lngLastRow + 1).Value = Format(Now(), "yyyy-MM-dd hh:mm:ss")
    Else
        Range("[COLOR=#ff8c00][B]D1[/B][/COLOR]").Value = Range("[COLOR=#ff0000][B]A1[/B][/COLOR]").Value
        Range("[COLOR=#40e0d0][B]C1[/B][/COLOR]").Value = Format(Now(), "yyyy-MM-dd hh:mm:ss")
    End If

End Sub

If the value of your stock is stored in cell A1, then every time its value changes it is being automatically saved to column D (value) along with the timestamp in column C. Please give it a try and let me know if it works for you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheerfulWalker

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back