Combine excel sheets without opening

jay2vel

I have set of excel files in a folder with 52(week names) sheets in each workbook, e,g have 10 workbooks.
each week need to enter data in the particular week sheet.

i would like to consoildate, particular week sheet data (eg WK22 sheet ) as combine one as in particular location workbook sheet.
this has to be done without opening excel file.

kindly support & let me know any additional information required.

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Welcome to the Board!

this has to be done without opening excel file.
Why?
The typical way of doing this is creating a macro that will open the files, copy the data, and then close the files. It doesn't involve you having to open the files manually, the macro will do it.

The only way I know of how to do it without opening the file is to NOT copy the data, but to link to it. But in order to do that, you would need to know (without looking at the file) the exact location on each sheet where you want to copy values so you can populate the sheets with linking formulas to the other sheets. Having 52 sheets filled with linking formulas will probably be very slow and inefficient, unless you then convert all those linking formulas to hard-coded values.

Upvote 0
Hey Sandy,

I have not been able to use PowerQuery yet, but I am curious. Can it get data from other files without opening them up?
If so, how does it do that?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi Joe,

How to explain :)
It works in "background", doesn't open the file but "importing" data to the new file in PQ editor where you can do whatever you want.
PQ uses ggost data/file (like temporary file) but if normal temporary file you can see with ~ sign the PQ temporary file you can't
All the time you work on a temporary copy and not on the original
I can make video but imho it doesn't make sense because you'll see result of the import , nothing more

edit:
in short: PQ doing in background temporary copy (link to) of the file / data without opening original file

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Very interesting and good to know.
Thanks for explaining it.

Upvote 0
My explanation is very poor ;)
The best way is try it in practice somewhere

it's something like: Data - From Access where you don't need to open Access file but you can see data from there after import

Fzrom Microsoft:

Microsoft Power Query provides a powerful “get data” experience that encompasses many features. A core capability of Power Query is to filter and combine, that is, to “mash-up” data from one or more of a rich collection of supported data sources. Any such data mashup is expressed using the Power Query Formula Language (informally known as "M"). Power Query embeds M documents in Excel and Power BI workbooks to enable repeatable mashup of data.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Joe,
Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar have written a really good book on PQ called M is for (Data) Monkey. PQ is fairly easy to learn the basics and you can do a lot of data manipulation with it that is very quick.

Alan

Upvote 0
Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar have written a really good book on PQ called M is for (Data) Monkey. PQ is fairly easy to learn the basics and you can do a lot of data manipulation with it that is very quick.
Thanks. It is one of those things I should learn and play around with someday...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoonDancer

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back