Compare email addresses in one column to account name in another, then produce a result.

bluegrassflash

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Hello All,

[/FONT]Really need some help!

[FONT=&quot]Assume Column A is an Account name and Column B is an email address. Basically, I want something that analyses the email address and compares it to the name of the account in Column A. If the email address contains any word from the Account name in Column A, or it's similar, then it needs to produce in Column C something that says, "Do not Contact."[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]But if NOT, then Column C needs to say, "OK to Contact"[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Example:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]AOL, Inc. [/FONT]Maverick.Goose@acme.org[FONT=&quot] -- OK to Contact[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]AOL, Inc. [/FONT]James.Smith@aol.com[FONT=&quot] -- Do not Contact (b/c "aol" is included in account name.)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]What I'm trying to do is this: I have accounts that have certain IT managers. If the IT managers have emails that are the same name as the account, it's likely they work for that same business. BUT, if the IT managers have different email addresses than the account, then those individuals must work OUTSIDE of the business. It's THOSE who are OUTSIDE of the business that I'm trying to narrow down.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thanks in advance![/FONT]

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
Hi,

This is one way, but it may not be fool proof:

Excel 2010
ABCD
1AOL, Inc.Maverick.Goose@acme.orgOK to Contact
2AOL, Inc.James.Smith@aol.comDo Not Contact
3Red CrossJohn_Doe@Red.netDo Not Contact
Sheet6
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D1=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(LEFT(MID(B1,FIND("@",B1)+1,255),FIND(".",MID(B1,FIND("@",B1)+1,255))-1),A1)),"Do Not Contact","OK to Contact")

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip! On this I keep getting everything saying "OK to Contact" when I know that's not true. In my specific spreadsheet, A2 is the start of the account names... and F2 is the email address and H is the returned value. Here is what I did after modifying yours. =IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(LEFT(MID(A2,FIND("@",A2)+1,255),FIND(".",MID(A2,FIND("@",A2)+1,255))-1),G2)),"Do Not Contact","OK to Contact") Is this correct?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip! On this I keep getting everything saying "OK to Contact" when I know that's not true. In my specific spreadsheet, A2 is the start of the account names... and F2 is the email address and H is the returned value. Here is what I did after modifying yours. =IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(LEFT(MID(A2,FIND("@",A2)+1,255),FIND(".",MID(A2,FIND("@",A2)+1,255))-1),G2)),"Do Not Contact","OK to Contact") Is this correct?

Your modification of my formula do Not match your description here, you say the Email Address is in F2, what's G2 doing in the formula?
If your Account names starts on A2, and the Emails starts on F2, use this:

Code:
=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(LEFT(MID(F2,FIND("@",F2)+1,255),FIND(".",MID(F2,FIND("@",F2)+1,255))-1),A2)),"Do Not Contact","OK to Contact")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back