Concatenate Multiple Rows until Non-Blank in Adjacent Column

bencookman

Hello

I would like a macro that works through a long worksheet, set up as follows:

Column A: product code (3-digit code)
Column B: notes about product (free text - can span multiple rows due to character limits)

Column A is blank in the rows where the data in column B has spilled onto multiple rows.

I would like a macro that will loop the worksheet and and concatenate the contents of column B into a new column C, so that all the notes for a given product are shown in a single row. The icing on the cake would be to delete the now redundant blank rows between product codes.

I'm struggling with the "keep concatenating the rows in column B until you find a non-blank entry in column A" piece of it. All help appreciated.

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.

jasonb75

Office Version
Platform
Windows
If this is a one off then you really don't need a macro for the task.

Assuming headers in row 1, data starting in row 2, enter this formula into C2 and fill down to the end of your data.

=IF(A3<>"",B2,B2&C3)

Next copy column C and pastespecial - values.

Finally, filter column A to show only blanks and delete the visible rows.

bencookman

If this is a one off then you really don't need a macro for the task.

Assuming headers in row 1, data starting in row 2, enter this formula into C2 and fill down to the end of your data.

=IF(A3<>"",B2,B2&C3)

Next copy column C and pastespecial - values.

Finally, filter column A to show only blanks and delete the visible rows.

Jason - many thanks - works a treat, and would never have thought that this could be so simple!

Subscribe on YouTube

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Faker4442

This Week's Hot Topics

• Turn fraction around
    Hello I need to turn a fraction around, for example I have 1/3 but I need to present as 3/1
  • TIme Clock record reformatting to ???
    Hello All, I'd like some help formatting this (Tbl-A)(Loaded via Power Query) [ATTACH type="full" width="511px" alt="PQdata.png"]22252[/ATTACH]...
  • TextBox Match
    hi, I am having a few issues with my code below, what I need it to do is when they enter a value in textbox8 (QTY) either 1,2 or 3 the 3 textboxes...
  • Using Large function based on Multiple Criteria
    Hello, I can't seem to get a Large formula to work based on two criteria's. I can easily get a oldest value based one value, but I'm struggling...
  • Can you check my code please
    Hi, Im going round in circles with a Compil Error End With Without With Here is the code [CODE=rich] Private Sub...
  • Combining 2 pivot tables into 1 chart
    Hello everyone, My question sounds simple but I do not know the answer. I have 2 pivot tables and 2 charts that go with this. However I want to...