Conditional Format: Cell Value equal to 0 not working?

Basara

Hi all,

I'm really confused by an issue i'm facing with 2 simple conditional format rules on a single cell (H6):

Cell Value - Equal to - =0 - Green fill
Cell Value - Not Equal to - =0 - Red fill

When I apply these to H6, the cell is always Red regardless of value, even if I delete the not equal to rule, it still doesn't go green.

H6's value is the sum of 2 other cells and is formatted as currency

I cant understand why its not working.

What's even more confusing is, this sheet is a copy of a template worksheet in the same book , which has the same 2 conditional formatting rules and it WORKS but only only that sheet?!

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
I tested with these 2 formulas in conditional formatting and it works whether H6 contains direct input OR H6 contains a formula summing 2 other cells

=H6<>0
=H6=0

Try deleting all conditional formatting pertaining to H6 and re-applying

Upvote 0
I tested with these 2 formulas in conditional formatting and it works whether H6 contains direct input OR H6 contains a formula summing 2 other cells

=H6<>0
=H6=0

Try deleting all conditional formatting pertaining to H6 and re-applying

Hi Yongle, I have tried this already, the only CF for H6 are these 2 entries, other CF rules touch column B only
I've deleted the 2 entries for H6, saved, quit, reloaded, readded,and its still the same.
What I dont understand is why it works in my template sheet but when that is coped to a new sheet, it doesn't?

Upvote 0
What does it show if you change the number format on H6 to 15 decimal places

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Basara.... What happens if you enter the formula =H6=0 into an Excel cell? When the equivalent CF fails to work, does the Excel formula also return FALSE?

I suspect that you are the victim of Excel binary arithmetic "error" (not really; read on), and H6 is not truly zero, even if it might appear to be.

Try one of the following:

1. Change the formula in H6 so that it explicitly rounds the calculation to 2 decimal places (for currency) or whatever number of decimal places that you expect to be accurate.
or
2. Change the CF to the formula =ROUND(H6,2)=0 for the Green condition.

The problem is: most decimal fractions cannot be represented exactly in 64-bit binary floating-point, which Excel uses to represent numbers and perform arithmetic. Also, the binary representation for a particular decimal fraction varies depending on the magnitude of the number.

For example, IF(10.01 - 10 = 0.01, TRUE) returns FALSE(!). But IF(ROUND(10.01 - 10, 2) = 0.01, TRUE) returns TRUE, as expected.

Upvote 0
We are both puzzled :confused:
- it sounds like the colour format is set to RED for both rules

What happens with only ONE rule?

Delete the RED rule and only use
=H6=0 with GREEN format
Do the cells format correctly ? when H6 = 0 (turns green) AND when H6 <> 0 (no colour)

Then try the RED rule in isolation

The 2 previous posters are on the right track - I did not consider the "is it really zero" question!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Joeu2004, you've cracked it,

=H6=0 was returning FALSE
Altered my H6 formula to =ROUND(H4-I6,2) and now it shows TRUE and the CF works!

Thank you, this has been annoying me for months!

Upvote 0
Thanks to Yongle and Mark as well, missed your answers initially as the notification email took me straight to juen's post

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MhammadishaqKhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back