Copy/Paste user-defined formula (in an Add-In) to new workbook results in #NAME

MStepan

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I've recently been trying to consolidate VBA by leveraging Add-Ins. I THINK that might be at the root of this issue, but am obviously not positive (or I wouldn't be posting this).

I have a simple User-Defined function that just returns the NAME of the office user ("Mark Stepan") by retrieving the UserName property (CurrentUserName = Application.UserName). It works fine in an Excel workbook. However, I also have a need to be able to effectively "copy/paste values" to another workbook to save a snapshot of this file (actually worksheet). When I copy/paste the formula to a new workbook, I get #NAME . If I EDIT the formula (F2, Enter), that DOES resolve it. This tells me that Excel IS able to locate the function, etc. But why, when the initial copy/paste happens, does it not resolve like I'd expect? When doing this interactively and manually, it's not a huge deal (an "irritation" mostly) to fix, but this is actually being performed via VBA, so I need to understand what the issue is in order to come up with the best way to address it.

I'm using Office 2010 (Excel 2010) on a Terminal Server that's running Windows Server 2008 R2. In doing a quick test at home, Excel 2016 doesn't appear to act the same. That is, it resolves the formula correctly.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and ideas.

Mark

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
A little bit of additional information: I still can't get Excel 2010 to do what I want. I wasn't able to make Excel 2016 "fail". But Excel 2013 worked or didn't based on the following setting: Trust Center, External Content, Enable automatic update for all Workbook Links. That is, Excel 2013 seems to apply that setting in the scenario I'm in (copying a formula from one workbook to another). My reaction is still "hmmmmm". Maybe nobody else has ever done this? Thanks.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldMrsMol

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back