Counting Query - Excel 2003

KFlaps

Hi all -i'm brand new to this board (though I think i'll be on here quite a bit! :))

I have a problem in excel that i just can't get my head around, i'll try to pose the question as simply as possible as trying to explain why i need this is a bit of a headache!!!

Basically, i have a list of data, all in one column, approx 1000 rows deep. About half of this data is over 3 characters long, and the rest is less than 3 characters...

What i need to do is count all the cells in this column that contain text over 3 characters long. I need this as an automatic formula as the number of cells with data over 3 characters can change on a daily basis...

I've tried using combinations of IF, LEN, COUNTA and COUNTIF, but i either get "0" or "994" (the total number of cells with any characters in).

For ease of explanation of any replies, this list of data is Named: NameList1.

So for example, i've tried:

=IF(LEN(Z2)<=3,"Yes","No")

this works fine if i drag the forumla down next to my column of data as it identifies everything over 3 characters with a "no" and anything under 3 characters with a "yes"

So i tried:

=IF(LEN(Z2)<=3,"Yes",COUNTA(NameList1))

but this obviously doesn't work as it's only refering to the first cell in my list of data - and it gives me a result of 994...if i change the "Z2" to "NameList1" i get a result of "0" (the "Yes" isn't important, it's just to make it easier for me to follow the formula)

I've also tried:

=COUNTIF(NameList1,LEN(NameList1)>3)

but I still just get "0"

I'm fairly competant at excel but i'm no genius, most of what i know i've figured out by browsing forums and figuring out other peoples formulas....so please treat me like a layman :LOL:

Pleeeease Help!!! Thankyou!!!!

Edit: I'm running Excel 2003

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Hi KFLAPS
Put this code onder a button on your sheet. Result in cellB1
Regards.
Code:
Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
Dim i As Integer
Dim Result As Integer

Result = 0

For i = 1 To 1000
If Len(Range("a" + CStr(i))) > 3 Then
    Result = Result + 1
End If
Next

Cells(1, 2) = Result

End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi AlphaFrog - that works great, thankyou! I've never used the SUMPRODUCT formula before so will have to commit to memory - what is this formula normally used for? And can is ask - i've never seen the double dash (--) used before...how and why would i use that?

Soz to ask questions, feel free not to reply, but if i learn now i won't have to ask again (in theory) :LOL:

Thanks evnoort for the reply too!

Upvote 0
Woo Hoo! I've managed to nest your formula in an OFFSET formula so that now i have a dynamic drop-down list that only shows data > 3 characters, and grows when any new data > 3 characters is added!!!

=OFFSET(NameList1,0,0,SUMPRODUCT(--(LEN(NameList1)>3)),1)

This has been giving me a headache for 2 days now! God Bless these forums :biggrin:

Upvote 0
The SUMPRODUCT function is used for a variety of needs. Most often as a multiple criteria COUNTIF or SUMIF type function, but there ore other uses.

I think this video demonstrates it's versatility better than I ever could.
Video: SUMPRODUCT function 12 Examples

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ravioli44

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back