Creating a worksheet based on conditions

tbloch

Hello all, and thanks for looking.

I consider myself fairly proficient with excel, but then I tried to take on this task. ;) I am fairly new with this type of excel coding, but I have coded with several other programming langauges in the past and think I can handle it with a few pushes in the right direction.

I want to create a macro that when I hit a button, I create a worksheet, possibly from a template, and add it to the workbook. I would like to select different options using 3 drop down menus on the same page as the "create" button. Based on these conditions, I would like the macro to create a sheet and highlight/display values off of the template.

I think I could do this with a lot of "if menu1 = 1 and menu2 = 1 and menu3 = 1 then copy this template to the end of the workbook" statements. However, this seems like it would take a lot of if/then statements and lot of templates (one for each possibility). I would think it could be done simpler.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

This example may help but as I am working blind......

Lets say you have a table to look up from

Excel Workbook
ABCDEF
1Table One12345
2a29541303212913002776
3b17502427242226321844
4c17042072137316092806
5d18601354262412512895
6e22642561285426361687
Table_One
#VALUE!
Excel 2007
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D2=INDEX(INDIRECT(A2), MATCH(B2, INDIRECT(A2&"!A:A")), MATCH(C2, INDIRECT(A2&"!1:1")))

Yes! That does help! In my case, value b4 would be if I used b from frist drop down menu and 4 from second drop down menu. I would used the value from D2 in my exp(A^(t*B)) where D2 would be the B value.

I'll try to throw up the equation and table if I can figure out how.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Well you see how it goes together, you can return these to a visible or hidden cell and perform your calcuation from there, or you can just nest them in the EXP function which would do just fine.

I think it's probably more efficient just to go with return to cells first then perform EXP function, Excel should only calculate a function that changes, if they are all nested in one another the calculation will happen in full each time a value is changed.

Upvote 0
Well you see how it goes together, you can return these to a visible or hidden cell and perform your calcuation from there, or you can just nest them in the EXP function which would do just fine.

I think it's probably more efficient just to go with return to cells first then perform EXP function, Excel should only calculate a function that changes, if they are all nested in one another the calculation will happen in full each time a value is changed.

Ah, makes sense.

I guess I should also mention that I am using 2003 if that changes much.

Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0
No it shouldn't change anything. Let me know how you get on, I had a hard day so I'm off to put my feet up but I'll check in from time to time.

All the best (and I should have welcomed you, so welcome to the forum :) )

p.s. if you want the board HTML Maker PM me your email address and I'll ping it across to you. Or to give credit where credits due pm Richard Schollar ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
HTML Maker will do that for you, nice and easy one click operation then paste ;)

Upvote 0
HTML Maker will do that for you, nice and easy one click operation then paste ;)

Well, actually, I mean making a table in excel. I'm having a very hard time just to make a table to look up values from. I guess my excel skills really werent all that great.

Upvote 0
I ended up using the VLOOKUP function and it's working really well for what I need. I'll prolly have a few more questions for ya, but thanks for your help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HellScout

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back