Data Connections

KevBarry

Having used this forum many times over the years for tips I find myself posting for the first time with a query, so here goes

I am using data connection to retrieve data from dozens of workbooks, each workbook has 17 worksheets, Apr through Dec, total of Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4 and Grand Total

To retrieve the required data, lets say for Q2, I have to open the the connection properties, select the individual workbook, go to definition and then enter Q2 in the command text box.

My question is; is there a way of globally changing this, at present I am linking up to 60 workbooks, but this could rise to well over a hundred, I dont necessarily want to have to manually change every sheet every time I want a different period reported

I had hoped that I could multiple select the workbooks but when I do this the properties box becomes unavailable !!

Thanks for any help that you can provide, I have tried googling this but with no success
Kev

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
I'm not sure what kind of data connections we're talking about here? Can you perhaps post a couple of screenshots?

Upvote 0
You could use this macro as a starting point. It displays the current Workbook connections (OLEDB or ODBC), and prompts for the new Command Text for each one. Test it on a copy of your data connections workbook.

Code:
Public Sub Change_Workbook_Connections()

Dim wbConnection As WorkbookConnection
    Dim SheetNameInput As String

For Each wbConnection In ActiveWorkbook.Connections

If Not wbConnection.OLEDBConnection Is Nothing Then

SheetNameInput = InputBox("Connection name = " & wbConnection.Name & vbCrLf & _
                   "Connection string = " & Left(wbConnection.OLEDBConnection.Connection, 100) & vbCrLf & _
                   "Command Text = " & wbConnection.OLEDBConnection.CommandText & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & _
                   "Enter new sheet name for Command Text", Title:="OLEDB Connection - Current Properties")
            If SheetNameInput <> "" Then
                wbConnection.OLEDBConnection.CommandText = SheetNameInput
                wbConnection.Refresh
            End If

ElseIf Not wbConnection.ODBCConnection Is Nothing Then

SheetNameInput = InputBox("Connection name = " & wbConnection.Name & vbCrLf & _
                   "Connection string = " & Left(wbConnection.ODBCConnection.Connection, 100) & vbCrLf & _
                   "Command Text = " & wbConnection.ODBCConnection.CommandText & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & _
                   "Enter new sheet name for Command Text", Title:="ODBC Connection - Current Properties")
            If SheetNameInput <> "" Then
                wbConnection.ODBCConnection.CommandText = SheetNameInput
                wbConnection.Refresh
            End If

End If

Next

End Sub

Upvote 0
WOW John !!!

I have to admit I have no idea what you have done but it works, very much appreciated.

The macro asks me to confirm for each linked connection but that is way quicker than going into the definitions each time

There are some seriously clever people out there of which you are one my friend, thanks again :)

Upvote 0
It was just a starting point, glad you got it working. Just move the InputBox outside the loop and change the code like this:

Code:
Public Sub Change_Workbook_Connections2()

Dim wbConnection As WorkbookConnection
    Dim SheetNameInput As String

SheetNameInput = InputBox("Enter new sheet name for Command Text")
    If SheetNameInput = "" Then Exit Sub

For Each wbConnection In ActiveWorkbook.Connections
        If Not wbConnection.OLEDBConnection Is Nothing Then
            wbConnection.OLEDBConnection.CommandText = SheetNameInput
            wbConnection.Refresh
        ElseIf Not wbConnection.ODBCConnection Is Nothing Then
            wbConnection.ODBCConnection.CommandText = SheetNameInput
            wbConnection.Refresh
        End If
    Next

End Sub
Your workbook may contain only 1 type of connection (OLEDB or ODBC), in which case one of the If/Else parts is redundant.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeVol

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back