Dates in pasted CSV sortable Oldest to Newest but A-Z only in 'lookup' sheet - today??

MandySea

Hi there,

New to this forum - joined hoping somebody out there can help me with an issue I'm encountering for the first time today?

I have a workbook, set up years ago, with a 'lookup' sheet and multiple tabs which have CSVs pasted into them daily from which the lookup sheet is populated. I've been using this workbook for years to produce a set of morning reports for production. ONE of the CSVs I've run today is, I think, not being read by the lookup sheet as a date, because as soon as I drop the CSV into the file, the sort function on the date in the lookup sheet switches from 'oldest to newest' to 'A-Z', although on the CSV itself, the date can still be sorted oldest to newest. Yesterday's CSV still works....

Does anybody have any experience of this? Anybody advise what I should be looking for?

Really hope somebody can help me.

Thanks

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Hi, welcome to the forum.

It sounds like those dates are coming across as text. You can try these steps to convert them to dates.

> highlight the column that contains you dates
> choose "Text to Columns" from the "Data" tab
> choose "Delimited" and click "Next"
> uncheck all the "Delimiters" and click "Next"
> choose "Date" from the "column data format" options, choose the appropriate format from the dropdown box next to it and click "Finish"

Upvote 0
Thanks FormR for taking the time to read and respond to my query :)

Unfortunately, it hasn't resolved my problem.

I'm pulling certain columns from a CSV into a lookup sheet using =IF((PIWIP.001!C3)=0,"",PIWIP.001!C3) for example, and then using that data to lookup and pull together data from various other CSVs. I tried your suggestion on both the formula sheet and the CSV and it didn't work for either. I've pasted just the data from the new CSV over the data from the old CSV and the lookup sheet still is able to sort oldest to newest. If I paste the header OR delete the additional rows on the CSV from the previous day's report, the lookup sheet goes back to offering to sort by A-Z.

I've also tried earlier copies of the workbook in case somebody had made a change I was unaware of, but still, it's today's CSV which causes the problem.

I think I'm going to have to create a new workbook to do the same thing and cross my fingers that whatever had changed won't be the same in the new book, AND, try today's workbook when tomorrow's CSV becomes available...

Thanks again for your advice :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VerifiedBleachersAttendee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back