Drop Down List Filtering

0123ren

Hi all, not sure ive used the correct terminology in the thread field but ill explain my situation.

I have a vat of information that needs organised and much of this can be placed in repetitive fields, hence the drop down list.
I want to organise the information in a sort of family tree formation, so for example, 1 listing i need to organise would be a family name. Now say when the earth started there were four people and two families e.g. A and B, I would want the first column to display a drop down list featuring these two families, I would select family A, then the second level of organisation would be the offspring of these two families (A would give C and D, B would give E and F), so after selecting A the second column would recognise this decision and the drop down list would adjust itself by omitting families E and F as they are no longer possible outcomes for the second level of organising.

Does anyone have any idea to manage drop down lists so they recognise the inputs of other drop down lists, sort of embedded almost??

I hope I have explained this issue well enough, sorry if i have inadvertently repeated a previous problem.

Thanks again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Martin

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrlanc20

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back