Elementary Question (I think) - Merging

Rick26

I do not think this should be difficult but I can not figure it out... I have my excel sheet completed.
I want to do two separate things - ( 1 ) merge data from my spreadsheet to a word doc utilizing labels.
( 2 ) merge data from my spreadsheet to a word document utilizing a word two column table. Mostly I can get the labels set up and the table (separate documents). I get the fields inserted but not always correctly.
I guess my real questions are: do I need to insert the "address" field - I think not as it sometimes causes me to have duplicate information that I have to edit. Additionally, my real issue is that I can not figure out or find a solution to - how do I get my excel data to populate my word docs? I either get a single field populated and can scroll through one at a time or I get a word doc populated with multiple label or table boxes populated with the same excel data. Desired out comes: populate a word doc w/labels having a different set of data in each label and separately - have an excel spreadsheet populate a word doc utilizing a table format (two columns) with a different set of data in each table box.
My spreadsheet has 75 lines of different data, 10 columns. Same data used for both word doc merges.
Not trying to combine these things into a single merge or anything like that. Two completely separate merges. Any help, suggestions greatly appreciated. Very novice at excel. Have attempted to research solution on my own prior to posting. My brain works best utilizing a simple 1, 2, 3, format. Thank you.

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
Ken, followed your instructions. Thank you very much. Worked fine. However, this is pretty much as far as I have got on my own. I get the data to a single page and then when I scroll through individually, the data changes. Now my 1st thing - if I have use your excel sheet and select to use labels - how do I populate an entire page of labels with different addresses allowing me to print the label sheet out, tear off the labels and put on an envelope? What I keep getting is an address in a single label and then I am able to scroll the list and get a different address in the same label. I just keep missing something here.

If I get this part, I may be able to get the second part.

Again, thank you very much.

Upvote 0
OK, fairly simple solution for my first issue - getting my word doc to populate a different address for each label. I guess this is a combination of word and excel working together, not just a single program. Nothing I read told me that after I selected my individual fields that I should then hit the "Update Labels" button. Finally found that tid bit on a youtube video. Now, I will see what I can come up with on my second issue. Again, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Upvote 0
For label merges, see: https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...il-merge-276a2cd1-74d2-43d0-ab5a-b90460358ad5
Contrary to the advice there, though, I would recommend against using the AddressBlock field - simply insert the individual fields you want, where you want them.

As for the second problem, it's not exactly clear what you're trying to achieve. If you simply want one set of fields for a record to appear in the left column and another set of fields for the same record to appear in the right column, insert the appropriate fields in those columns and use either a letter merge or a directory merge (depending on whether you want a new page for each record).

Upvote 0
OK, thank you for your response. Somehow, after quite a bit of work/research, things kind of came together. Sorry my request was not more clear. Was crystal clear when I wrote it and then re-read it, isn't that the way? Anyway, no, what I was doing was putting a two column table in word and importing the same fields from excel into them. What I was having an issue with was that I could only get the first upper most table box to show excel field information. When using the word mailings forward/back button - the information in each field would show the next record but only in that one single table box. I finally got the fields into each table box and discovered that it was necessary to utilize the "Update Labels" button to show the individual data for each field. Hopefully this makes sense. In any event, I did get things to work as desired. All assistance and offers of assistance are greatly appreciated. So, I am good now. Thank you very much!

For label merges, see: https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...il-merge-276a2cd1-74d2-43d0-ab5a-b90460358ad5
Contrary to the advice there, though, I would recommend against using the AddressBlock field - simply insert the individual fields you want, where you want them.

As for the second problem, it's not exactly clear what you're trying to achieve. If you simply want one set of fields for a record to appear in the left column and another set of fields for the same record to appear in the right column, insert the appropriate fields in those columns and use either a letter merge or a directory merge (depending on whether you want a new page for each record).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back