Excel online- Unable to paste data in cells containing formula

rajbhaskar221

Hi,

I am facing issue in updating text in a cell containing formula.
Formula used is
=IF(B2<>"","Enter user E-Mail ID here","")

As intended, when B2 is not blank the Cell C2 will display text "Enter user E-Mail ID here". If I paste Email ID from outside workbook in C2, the email ID gets displayed for few seconds and then get reverted back to the display text "Enter user E-Mail ID here".
•Issue is being faced only when we are pasting email ID or web urls. Even on manually typing Email Ids, same issue is being faced.
•Issue is only with cells containing formula. With blank cells, this is working fine.
Until last week, this was working fine and I am clueless what could have caused this issue.
Observations-
•only the hyperlink is getting created by ctrl+v, the display text or cell content remains the formula generated text.
•if I perform ctrl+v twice the display text is getting updated, however the change is not getting saved. If I refresh / reopen the online workbook, the display text is getting reset to formula based output.
•the paste is working fine if edit is performed through "edit in excel" option so issue is only when we are using "Edit in Browser" option.
•This is replicable on multiple excel online files and on different systems so this cant be a local issue.

System details -
Microsoft OneDrive Version 2018 (Build 17.3.7294.0108)
Office 2016.

Please let me know if there is any such known issue and what could be the workaround or possible fix.

Regards,
Bhaskar Raj

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Welcome to the Board!

It sounds to me like you might possibly have some Event Procedure VBA code at play here.
If so, can you paste the VBA code from that particular sheet module so we can see what it looks like?

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

It sounds to me like you might possibly have some Event Procedure VBA code at play here.
If so, can you paste the VBA code from that particular sheet module so we can see what it looks like?

Hi Joe,
This is .xlsx file uploaded on onedrive and we are facing this issue while using "edit in browser" feature of Excel online (web app).

Regards

Upvote 0
This is .xlsx file uploaded on onedrive and we are facing this issue while using "edit in browser" feature of Excel online (web app).
OK. So that rules out VBA.
Definitely sounds like it is tied to the "edit in browser" feature in the Web App (which I have never used).
It also sounds like you cannot make any changes to it (i.e. it is "Read Only). Are you able to make other changes and save them?

Upvote 0
The file is editable and I am able to enter data other than email IDs or Url in the formula cells overwriting the formula. The issue kicks in only when I am trying to paste email ID/ url.
This issue is not occurring if I open the file in local (using "edit in excel") feature of excel online.

Upvote 0
Whilst I've never used Excel Online before, I've just tried doing what you're doing & am getting the same result.
So, I suspect it has something to do with the online version, but unfortunately I've no idea what or why

Upvote 0
Whilst I've never used Excel Online before, I've just tried doing what you're doing & am getting the same result.
So, I suspect it has something to do with the online version, but unfortunately I've no idea what or why

Thanks for taking out time and validating it.
It was working fine till last week. I am unable to trace any change done from user end or OneDrive updates either, so raised this on forum to check if it is a known issue.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichealRed

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back