Excel spreadsheet double saving

palaeontology

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a spreadsheet with numerous macros that seems to be doing two saves when I click to save the file to a shared drive .... G: drive at my workplace.

On clicking to save to the shared drive (G: drive), I get the usual swirling hourglass for about 6 to 10 seconds ... this is what I have always seen the save to G:drive do ... no indication to which drive it's being saved, but by checking later, you can see it has saved to G: drive as expected.

As soon as that save finishes, it launches into a second save, indicated by a 'Save As" and progress bar where it actually states it is being saved to G: drive ... I haven't seen this in the past with all my other spreadsheets (all which contain numerous macros etc) ... but this save takes in the order of 40 seconds to a minute.

The file is only 18 000 KB, no bigger than my other files, so I wouldn't be expecting it to take this long, or to do this strange 'double save'.

Also, opening the file used to take only a few seconds, now it takes more than 40 seconds.

When I open and/or save the very same file in my own external hard-drive, it opens in just 3 seconds, and saves in about 5 seconds.

I've googled the terms 'excel double save', and have found nothing except one solitary forum chat (not this site) from several years ago where someone was experiencing the same problem. A contributor commented ....

The "double saving" occurs only when I'm running Excel within
the Citrix Presentation Server Client. When I'm running Excel by
itself, the "save" happens only once.

I have no idea what that means, but maybe one of you does.

Does anyone know what has happened, and if there is a solve ?

I'm running Excel 2013, and the file is saved as a .xlsm (macro enabled) file.

Kind regards,

Chris

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
The speed of the save should be the Network drive. When opening a networked file, its a little more complicated in the authentication and the temporary file creation.
Have you set the "Auto Recovery file location" or "Default Save Location" to a networked location?
Is the G: drive a mapping to a SharePoint/One Drive for business location?

Upvote 0
Ta for that, Spiller.

I'm waiting to have a meeting with the IT department at my work, to discuss my problem, and your comments above, but they haven't got back to me with a date yet.

In the interim, can anyone else think of any other reason why this particular spreadsheet is performing a double save on the workplace G: drive, but not on my external hard-drive ?

Kind regards,

Chris

Upvote 0
Does anyone have any further ideas on this problem I'm having ?

Kind regards,

Chris

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chestertim

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back