Extracting the correct information

Noxqss38242

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
I'm wanting an easier way to pull information I need for work, any solution to this would be awesome!

I extract information and paste it on "sheet 2" which contains hundreds of rows and about 15 columns. In column "a" is the list of truck numbers (sometimes and often repeated), in column "h" is another number that I want to extract to "sheet1" based off what I enter in cell "a1" on "sheet1". So "sheet2" will look like:

(Truck #)n/an/aCoden/an/an/a

<tbody>
</tbody>

And I want to enter on "sheet1" the truck number and have it pull the codes relating to that specific truck number as there will be hundreds of other trucks listed as well, it can be with the duplicate codes but I would prefer it to not duplicate codes already pulled. So it would look something like this:

Truck #Code

<tbody>
</tbody>

If the truck number comes up with no match, then I would also like the cell to say, "no codes" or if easier, to just be blank and not an error.

Essentially I'm going to lock down every other cell so others can access this information and only the A1 cell would be available to them and codes (if any) will populate into those cells so the individual can see if a specific truck is having "codes"/issues.

Any solution to this? Thank you!

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Let's name the range in Sheet2 which houses the codes as Code.
Let's also name the range in Sheet2 which houses the truck numbers as Truck.

Let A2 of Sheet1 house a truck number of interest like 19848.

In B2 of Sheet1 control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(Truck=$A$2,Code),Code),1))

In C2 of Sheet1 control+shift+enter, not just enter, and copy down:

=IF(ROWS($C$2:C2)>$B$2,"",INDEX(Code,SMALL(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(ISNUMBER(Code),IF(Truck=$A$2,MATCH(Code,Code,0))),ROW(Code)-ROW(INDEX(Code,1,1))+1),ROW(Code)-ROW(INDEX(Code,1,1))+1),ROWS($C$2:C2))))

Upvote 0
With the same named ranges and the same formula in B2 of Sheet1, you could also try this standard-entry formula in C2, copied down.

=IF(ROWS(C$2:C2)>B$2,"",INDEX(Code,AGGREGATE(15,6,(ROW(Code)-ROW(INDEX(Code,1))+1)/((Truck=A$2)*(ISNA(MATCH(Code,C$1:C1,0)))),1)))

Upvote 0
Okay, now I ran into another issue. I'm using the same cell (truck number) in A2 and I have a different sheet that trucks/codes are also stored. In cell D2 I put the first formula that is set for B2 but changed the name range so as to pull the information from "Vehicle" as opposed to "truck" and "Omnitracs" as opposed to "Code" but it comes up with "0".

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(Vehicle=$A$2,Omnitracs),Omnitracs),1))

Likewise the next issue is also blank:
=IF(ROWS($E$2:E2)>$D$2,"",INDEX(Omnitracs,SMALL(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(ISNUMBER(Omnitracs),IF(Truck=$A$2,MATCH(Omnitracs,Omnitracs,0))),ROW(Omnitracs)-ROW(INDEX(Omnitracs,1,1))+1),ROW(Omnitracs)-ROW(INDEX(Omnitracs,1,1))+1),ROWS($D$2:D2))))

Also did the control+shift+enter

Upvote 0
Okay, so the codes in this section contain letters then numbers. IE: SPN1787 and PRO2010 and PID190. When I took overwritten the cell with just numbers, the formula works. However, I need the whole code. Hmm....

Okay, D2 works only if numbers are listed like mentioned above but E2 will not pull the code still, possibly because the "range" contains letters still? Hmm...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Replace

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(Vehicle=$A$2,Omnitracs),Omnitracs),1))

with:

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(1-(Omnitracs=""),IF(Vehicle=$A$2,MATCH(Omnitracs,Omnitracks,0))),ROW(Omnitracs)-ROW(INDEX(Omnitracks,1,1))+1),1))

And

=IF(ROWS($E$2:E2)>$D$2,"",INDEX(Omnitracs,SMALL(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(ISNUMBER(Omnitracs),IF(Truck=$A$2,MATCH(Omnitracs,Omnitracs,0))),ROW(Omnitracs)-ROW(INDEX(Omnitracs,1,1))+1),ROW(Omnitracs)-ROW(INDEX(Omnitracs,1,1))+1),ROWS($D$2:D2))))

with:

=IF(ROWS($E$2:E2)>$D$2,"",INDEX(Omnitracs,SMALL(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(1-(Omnitracs=""),IF(Truck=$A$2,MATCH(Omnitracs,Omnitracs,0))),ROW(Omnitracs)-ROW(INDEX(Omnitracs,1,1))+1),ROW(Omnitracs)-ROW(INDEX(Omnitracs,1,1))+1),ROWS($D$2:D2))))

Upvote 0
Solution
Okay, so I missed the "truck" to "vehicle". I corrected that...my mistake. I also had to separate letters from numbers in order for the formula to work. Is there a different formula that will pull the whole code including letters, ie: SPN102? Otherwise as I have it now, I separated the letters from numbers and ran the formula that way and it works perfectly.

Standby...I just saw your reply...working on your suggestion now

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Okay, so I missed the "truck" to "vehicle". I corrected that...my mistake. I also had to separate letters from numbers in order for the formula to work. Is there a different formula that will pull the whole code including letters, ie: SPN102? Otherwise as I have it now, I separated the letters from numbers and ran the formula that way and it works perfectly.

Standby...I just saw your reply...working on your suggestion now

:ROFLMAO:I made a typo though: Omnitracks >> Omnitracs

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoniJ

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back