Filtering help

PrinceExcel

Hi, kindly help me. In column A , I have a list of User while in column B I have a list of groups. Some user belongs to multiple group. What I want to happen is if I select a user all of the groups it belongs will be display. Any suggestion?TIA.

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Having a hard time visualizing what you are asking, but I'm going out on a limb. I think that you can achieve what you want with a Pivot Table. Showing us some sample data with your ask would go a long way to helping us understand what you want.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi, kindly help me. In column A , I have a list of User while in column B I have a list of groups. Some user belongs to multiple group. What I want to happen is if I select a user all of the groups it belongs will be display. Any suggestion?TIA.
When you say "select a user" do you mean select a cell in Column A?

What exactly do you mean by "will be displayed"? What kind of display do you have in mind?

Upvote 0
Yes it can be done with pivot table but i want to make it with a reference cell. Ex. Column A with list of User while Column B with List of groups. Lets says in reference cell there is a user "Admin". Then all groups for Admin will be shown.

Upvote 0
Yes it can be done with pivot table but i want to make it with a reference cell. Ex. Column A with list of User while Column B with List of groups. Lets says in reference cell there is a user "Admin". Then all groups for Admin will be shown.
What do you mean by shown? All the groups are shown in Column B, so exactly what do you have in mind for the groups that belong to the user in the cell you select?

Upvote 0
I mean all groups for user "Admin" will be displayed.
I am obviously not making myself clear. To me, just saying "displayed" tells me nothing. Where do you want it displayed... in a ListBox? in a different column? in a filtered range? color the cells? something else? I know you have something in mind when you say "displayed", I just need you to communicate it to us.

Upvote 0
Prince
I think that you need to show us a sample of what your data looks like and what you would like it to look like. Seems like both Rick and I have misplaced our crystal balls. This will help us to understand your thinking.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttosArmy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back