Find a number in a range of a cell

Russk68

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hello all,

I have this # range in cell A1 101>123.
I'm using the > symbol as a thru statement.
My question is; if I put 105 in B1; can a formula or VB return a true by looking at A1 and matching 105.

I would like conditional formatting in B1 to turn green if 105 is in the range of numbers in A1

I also would need to search this range as well; 13/15/19/24

Thank you!

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Select cell B1, open your conditional formating dialog box and click New Rule. Then click 'Use a formula to determine whcich cells to format'. Put this formula in the 'Format values where this formula is true' box
Code:
=FIND(A1.B1,1)
. Then click the 'Format' button and select 'Fill' to set your fill color. Click OK to exit out of the dialog box and cell B1 should now fill with your selected color when you enter a number in the range you have in cell A1.

Upvote 0
Hello all,

I have this # range in cell A1 101>123.
I'm using the > symbol as a thru statement.
My question is; if I put 105 in B1; can a formula or VB return a true by looking at A1 and matching 105.

I would like conditional formatting in B1 to turn green if 105 is in the range of numbers in A1

I also would need to search this range as well; 13/15/19/24

Thank you!

In CF involving B1 invoke the following formula:

=MATCH(B1,ROW(INDIRECT(SUBSTITUTE(A1,">",":"))),0)

Format the cell as green.

By the way, search

13/15/19/24

for what?

Upvote 0
Hi, can't wait to try it!
Sorry. If A1 contained 13/15/19/24 or even more #s and if B1 contained 19, then B1 conditional format would be true.

Upvote 0
That works great, but I just realized that I have to go one step further.

I need the search to extend from A1 to A1000. So A1 could be 101>123, A2 124>129, A3 130>146 and so on. So if B1= 133 it would be true.

Thank you!

Upvote 0
Aladin's formula will work fine for the 101>123 case, but when you have lots of individual numbers to check, you might be better off with a UDF. For example:

ABCDE
1101>123101144TRUEFALSE
213/15/19/241516TRUEFALSE
3101>123/125/128/15>20/251822TRUEFALSE

<tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet4

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
D1=checkrange($A1,B1)

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

On a copy of your workbook, right click on the sheet tab on the bottom and select View Code. Then from the menu in the VBA editor click Insert > Module. On the sheet that opens paste this code:

Code:
Public Function CheckRange(MyRange, MyValue) As Boolean
Dim wk1 As Variant, wk2 As Variant, i As Long, lb As Long, ub As Long

wk1 = Split(MyRange, "/")
    For i = 0 To UBound(wk1)
        wk2 = Split(wk1(i), ">")
        lb = wk2(0)
        ub = wk2(UBound(wk2))
        If MyValue >= lb And MyValue <= ub Then
            CheckRange = True
            Exit Function
        End If
    Next i
    CheckRange = False

End Function
Now close the editor (Alt-Q or the red X in the corner). Now you can use the formula as shown above. You can even use that same formula in Conditional Formatting if you want.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Eric
I will give it a go later today and let you know how it worked out.
Thank you very much!

Upvote 0
Hi Eric,
I'm very impressed how this works! But I was too focused on how Excel could possibly find a number in a range as I described and I didn't explain the whole picture. I would greatly appreciate it if you could further assist me with the proper explanation below:
These formats 101>190 or 101/112/114 or 101>190/101/112 can be in any cell A1:L500. Column M is where the number is entered and want to condition format if the number is found in A1:L500.
Hope that makes sense!
Thank you!

Upvote 0
Do you mean if the number in M4 is found in the range of A4, then highlight it? Or do you mean that if the number in M4 is found in A1, or A2, or A378, or anywhere in the list of ranges in A? If the former, then just select column M, click Conditional Formatting > New Rule > Use a formula > and enter =CheckRange($A1,M1) > and select your fill color. If the latter, then I'll either need to change the UDF, or possibly set up a Worksheet_Change event to monitor when you change column M.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoonDancer

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back