Finding the count of first appearance and repeat visits

jarust91

Hello,

I have a table that contain all of our programs user names and month of use. Throughout the table there are instances where a name is repeated signifying a repeat use of the program. I am trying to find a way to be able to see the total number of "repeat users" in any given month. Additionally, I want to be able to find a way to see the total number of "first time users" in any given month.

I have created a pivot table where the name is the row and the month is the column. I then showed "count of name" in the pivot table. I am not certain if this is the right course of action, or if there is another way to do this. I tried to upload pictures of the pivot table and the regular table, but I can't seem to be able to figure it out.

Thank you for any help that can be provider

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Is the table below something like what you're after? Involves adding another column to your dataset, and the second table on the right could be a pivottable as you described in your original post, if you'd prefer.
In my scenario, a person is a first-timer the first time they login, and a repeat for any future logins. If you want to find single-time users it would be a slightly different solution.

NameLogin MonthFirst-timer or Repeat?Month
First-timer

<tbody>
</tbody>
Repeat
JaneJan-15=IF(COUNTIFS($C$3:$C$17,"<"&C3,$B$3:$B$17,B3)=0,"First-timer","Repeat")Jan-15=COUNTIFS($D$3:$D$17,G$2,$C$3:$C$17,$F3)=COUNTIFS($D$3:$D$17,G$2,$C$3:$C$17,$F3)
JeffJan-15First-timerFeb-1531
JohnJan-15First-timerMar-1513
JoeJan-15First-timerApr-1512
JessFeb-15First-timer
JoeFeb-15Repeat
JerryFeb-15First-timer
JennyFeb-15First-timer
JillMar-15First-timer
JennyMar-15Repeat
JaneMar-15Repeat
JessMar-15Repeat
JillApr-15Repeat
JoshApr-15First-timer
JessApr-15Repeat

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
I may have incorrectly assumed the person only appears once per month. If the dataset has multiple logins for a person in a single month, the solution above won't work so well. Let me know if that's the case and I'll do my best to come up with another way.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back