formula to reference cell a1 plus 5 rows

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
I want to make a series of formulas that will each time add a certain amount of rows to be referenced, starting at A1

Upvote 0
Yes, it's possible. Should the reference include all the cells from A1 to the reference cell or just that single cell?

Upvote 0
that single cell

Then perhaps OFFSET(A1,C1,,1,1), where A1 is your starting point, and C1 contains a number for how many rows you would like to go. The 1, 1 (height, width) at the end determines the size of the offset.

Now it just depends on what you would like the formula to do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
thank you dreid. that does what i asked but is not really what i wanted. I will start a new thread and try to explain what i really want to do (looked at attaching file but am not able to understand the procedure)

Upvote 0
Dreid, i thought about it and played around a little and used the offset to solve my problem. Thanks
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

Just be aware that OFFSET is a volatile function so may adversely affect your sheet's performance if used a lot.

There is almost certainly a non-volatile way to achieve the same thing so if you need that or are interested, tell us a bit more about what you have, where, and what you are trying to achieve, as well as the formula using OFFSET that you have ended up with at the moment. If you want to post a small set of dummy data and expected results to help clarify your situation, my signature block below has a link to follow.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mr_ordinaryboy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back