Help with COUNTIFS formula

bootj1234

Board Regular
Is it possible to use the IF/OR function at the beginning of a COUNTIFS formula in order for the COUNTIF portion of the formula to run once one of two text criteria are met within the cells of a specified column range? If so, how would the IF/OR portion of the formula have to be written prior to the COUNTIFS portions of the formula in order for the overall formula to work?

The two text criteria to be used in the specified column range would be "EVM" or "GRM".

Any help with solving this is greatly appreciated!

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Thats how countifs works. If the column shows a value it counts it. Is that what you mean?

Upvote 0
Hi Steve Fish - Thanks for the quick reply.

What I am trying to do is have the COUNTIFS portion of the formula run based on meeting a prior conditional of =If(OR($B7="EVM",$B7="GRM". If it meets one of these conditions then it runs the balance of the formula which is comprised of COUNTIFS formula. If it doesn't meet the IF/OR criteria then it returns a 0.

Was the above helpful?

Thanks

Upvote 0
I had already tried that and it unfortunately didn't work.

Thanks for trying. I might be a case where the OR function can't be used in conjunction with the COUNTIF function.

Kind regards

Upvote 0
I am not sure how to explain. I have the text formatted column where I am referencing EVM in some cells and GRM in the other cells. I have selected 2 cells to show results using the same formula on each results cell. One results cell would be based on counts from the column where EVM is the criteria, and the second cell would do the same thing using the GRM criteria.

When I used the formula in the 2 results cells it gave me the same identical totals in both results cells. I know that the resulting totals should be different between EVM and GRM results cells. For example, if there is no GRM text in the cells of the column that I am referencing, then the results cell for GRM should show 0 and it's not.

I hope this helps with my explanation for determining a formula that will yield the results I am trying to solve for.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Maybe show a small sample of your data with expected results of that sample.

Upvote 0
Per your suggestion, I have created a small sample showing the data ranges and data criteria I am using. But, I don't know the process for copying it so that I can past it into the Mr Excel Message Board so that you can see it. Any help with how I can copy and paste the data in so that you can see it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all of your assistance!

Upvote 0
Just copy some cells and paste it here. We will be able to copy it back into excel our end then to test any solution.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back