hide sheets

ttowncorp

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
is there a way to once you put a sheet under Hide have it only viewable to admin users. or put a password on that sheet so one other then yourself or selected few can view it?

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
You can accomplish this using a VBA feature.

If you open the VBA screen, click on the sheet you want inaccessible, then from the Properties Window, select the visible option for xlSheetVeryHidden.
They, to be sure no one can go poking around in there, password access to the VBA screen: Tools/VBA Project Properties/Protection

HTH

Upvote 0
Note that Excel security is actually not that secure, and pretty easy to break.

You don't even have to know how to break it to get to hidden information. Even though a sheet may be hidden, if someone knows it name (which can easily be seen in VBA), then can reference it, i.e. if "Sheet2" is the hidden sheet, you can still pull values from that sheet via formula:
Code:
=Sheet2!A1

So, these tools are best used to prevent casual/accidental access to data. If you absolutely want that data protected, Excel is not a good tool to do that (and would fail most corporate security audits!).

Upvote 0
i c. so you can hide the coding a password protect that, but not a sheet and add a password to that?

Upvote 0
i c. so you can hide the coding a password protect that, but not a sheet and add a password to that?
I am not sure if this is in response to my post or kweaver's.
You can hide and password protect a sheet, but that doesn't keep the data from still being accessible via formulas, like I showed.

Upvote 0
so when unhiding it does it prompt a password to view it or is the password just for preventing them from editing the sheet.?

Upvote 0
If you password the VBA, there will be a prompt. Otherwise, you cannot view nor edit the VBA.

I've always wondered why Microsoft didn't fully protect very hidden sheets.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
thanks for the info. that is strange that they don't have that basic option. what about this. make a black screen that covers the sheet, then have a way to enable and disable it with a specific key stroke combinations like hold s d f g and h all at the same time to turn it on or off. is that possible?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahmad123098

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back