Highlight Cell above if cell below is Fail and 1

thewok288

Long time lurker and first time poster!

Hi all I have a spreadsheet of names and the data fields pass and fails (1 or blanks). I need a formula or Conditional formatting that if the fail is 1 to highlight the cell above. I'm trying to think of the best way to achieve this goal?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
l I have a spreadsheet of names and the data fields pass and fails (1 or blanks). I need a formula or Conditional formatting that if the fail is 1 to highlight the cell above. I'm trying to think of the best way to achieve this goal?
Select the range you want to have this functionality, note the active cell... let's say for example purposes the cell is C8, use this conditional formatting formula...

=C9=1

In other words, test the cell underneath the active cell for being equal to 1.

Upvote 0
That works well Rick! Thank you very much. If i wanted to go one step further and have it only highlight the cell above if it had the word Fail in the row, could i use a IF formula?

Upvote 0
That works well Rick! Thank you very much. If i wanted to go one step further and have it only highlight the cell above if it had the word Fail in the row, could i use a IF formula?
I am about to go to sleep for the "night", so I won't be able to answer you for a few hours, but your question is not clear. Which cell has the word Fail in it... the one being colored yellow or the one you had me test for being equal to 1? If the latter, does that mean you are testing for either a 1 or the word Fail and coloring it the same color if either is in the cell?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Riley Johnson

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back