How to automate a complex process that is different everytime?

johnt_83

Hi everyone,

I am wondering how I could turn a current tedious task that I perform every 1-2 weeks @ work into a process that can be done automatically (or at least somewhat automatic?). Basically, what I do right now is organize a bunch of prize codes with people's email addresses manually and send out prize codes to various users based on how they are performing - and every 1-2 weeks these users accumulate more points and then I send them these codes that they getif they have moved up a level. If they haven't they don't get a code. I then do a mail-merge >> Excel >> Word >> Outlook sends the emails to all the users with their prize codes.

I have found that this manual process (taking codes and assigning them to various users) is very time consuming doing it one user by one user all the time...and was hoping the experts here would be able to assist in some way.

Is this even possible in Excel or does one need to be a Guru in Excel VBA or some other programming language (which I am not)?

I have been trying to think of ways I could do this but since I am not a software engineer/programmer it's hard for me to really move forward. I'm hoping you guys could help.

The code data is basically in a spreadsheet and I would then have to copy/paste those codes to match to a user who has earned them...and I then have to determine if they have moved up a level in points or not - this too is manual but am hoping this can too be done automatically or semi-automatic.

Please let me know if you need clarification and I will do the best I can.

Thanks.

Here is the truncated data but as you can tell the formatting makes it look bad - could I email you the spreadsheet?

Thanks,
John

Rank Name Email 5/10 Score 5/10 Tier 5/23 Score 5/23 Tier Level Up? Item 1 Item 2 Item 3 Item 4 Item 5 Item 6 Item 7 Item 8 Item8a Item8b Item8c
9 Has x@x.com 925 3 7750 6 YES Already Received Code Already Received Code Already Received Code Already Received Code XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
17 Did x@x.com 1870 4 5525 6 YES Already Received Code Already Received Code Already Received Code Already Received Code Already Received Code XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
19 Kies x@x.com 4735 5 5335 6 YES Already Received Code Already Received Code Already Received Code Already Received Code Already Received Code Already Received Code Already Received Code XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
20 Dee x@x.com 4570 5 5270 6 YES Already Received Code Already Received Code Already Received Code Already Received Code Already Received Code XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
21 Phi x@x.com 4475 5 5215 6 YES Already Received Code Already Received Code Already Received Code Already Received Code Already Received Code Already Received Code Already Received Code XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
31 Has x@x.com 860 3 3905 5 YES Already Received Code Already Received Code Already Received Code Already Received Code XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
36 Did x@x.com 2360 4 3520 5 YES Already Received Code Already Received Code Already Received Code Already Received Code Already Received Code XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
41 Kies x@x.com 2295 4 3240 5 YES Already Received Code Already Received Code Already Received Code Already Received Code Already Received Code XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
44 Dee x@x.com 2305 4 2965 5 YES Already Received Code Already Received Code Already Received Code Already Received Code Already Received Code XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
51 Phi x@x.com 2300 4 2740 5 YES XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
53 Has x@x.com 2295 4 2705 5 YES Already Received Code Already Received Code Already Received Code Already Received Code Already Received Code XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
57 Did x@x.com 2320 4 2630 5 YES Already Received Code Already Received Code Already Received Code XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
58 Kies x@x.com 2220 4 2620 5 YES Already Received Code Already Received Code Already Received Code Already Received Code Already Received Code XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
61 Dee x@x.com 2375 4 2510 5 YES Already Received Code Already Received Code Already Received Code Already Received Code Already Received Code XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
I am shifting location. if you do not get any help from members send file after 14 june. greetings

Upvote 0
sorry I have changed my location. In the process some dislocation of messages. post back your query.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sameri

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back