how to find last occurrence of repeated value, average, and count how many times it occurred in a column

jimblimm

Board Regular
The setup

column b
S
S
S
D
D
S
S
S
D
D
D
D

column b is the column I get my values from a1 would be a helper column that's numeric that indicates days

Column a

I need a formula that will tell me how many times the S REPEATED 3 times REFERENCE TO column a, i need the average times S repeats 3 times, and I need the last time S repeated 3 times in reference to column a (the helper row). Note column a goes up to 8500 values

The answer to the first question should be 2, because S repeated
Itself 3 times twice. Reference B1: b8500
I think the average should be 6,

And last occurrence answer should be 8 via column a1: a8500, that's the last time S repeated 3 times

Please help been struggling to figure this one out..

thaaannnnxxxxx a million that works perfect.....now is there anyway to get the average amount of time the "s" repeats x amount of times

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Domenic, using the same concept, how do you suppose i get the current count of repeats on the "s" value.....using your last diagram, the answer to my question would be 4 assuming the are no values in the cells under e12 yet. but there will be a formula in e13 that returns a blank cell if a condition isnt met, but will return "s" if a condition is

Upvote 0
thaaannnnxxxxx a million that works perfect.....

You're very welcome!

now is there anyway to get the average amount of time the "s" repeats x amount of times

Based on the sample data that I provided, what would you expect as the answer?

Domenic, using the same concept, how do you suppose i get the current count of repeats on the "s" value.....using your last diagram, the answer to my question would be 4 assuming the are no values in the cells under e12 yet. but there will be a formula in e13 that returns a blank cell if a condition isnt met, but will return "s" if a condition is

Try...

=LOOKUP(2,1/(FREQUENCY(IF($B$2:$B$13=D2,ROW($B$2:$B$13)),IF($B$2:$B$13<>D2,ROW($B$2:$B$13)))>0),FREQUENCY(IF($B$2:$B$13=D2,ROW($B$2:$B$13)),IF($B$2:$B$13<>D2,ROW($B$2:$B$13))))

...confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER.

Upvote 0
Let's say the array is B1:b8500. I want the average of how many times the "s" repeats 3 times. I guess it would be B1/ number of times the "s'" was drawn right?

Upvote 0
What if I wanted the second lookup to be something other than "s". Example, "s" then
"d".

S
D
S
S
S
D

The last formula works perfect if value repeats itself. Just cant figure out how to adjust it. I now want it to still count how many times the d follows s
S
D

Upvote 0
Or even

S
D
T

Example

S
D
D
S
D
T
S
T
S
D
T

The count of sdt would be 2 because in the above list iT showed twice in that order.
So could you help with a formula that could count SD OR SDT EVEN SDTC

S
D

S
D
T

S
D
T
C

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesitisasport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back