How to find non-duplicated dates (VBA)

bukimi

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello!

I have a product report that has some columns - one of them is date: one of two specified (let's say that it's always either 1st January or 9th January). Among all products there are few that always have only one date assigned, but still appear many times in the report (because other columns still have different data for them).

Example data:
PRODUCT NAME | DATE..... | CLIENT | ITEMS SOLD
Apple...............|1-01-2019| Shop X | 10
Apple...............|9-01-2019| Shop X | 36
Banana............|9-01-2019| Cafe Y..| 42
Orange............|1-01-2019| Shop Y.| 31
Apple..............|1-01-2019| Club A..| 12
Orange............|9-01-2019| Club A..| 48
Banana............|9-01-2019| Shop X..| 2

I need to find which products appear only with one of two dates and, preferably, delete rows that refer to these found products.
In example data I need to find that Banana was sold only on 9th January and never 1st January, so I need to delete all rows that refer to it.

Is there any way to do it by VBA? The only way I can think of is to add a helper pivot table and then check which product has only 1 row of data, but it's a long workaround.

Thank you in advance for your tips!

These are promised screenshots of my table. You may notice that there is different name of formula. It's Polish equivalent of Countifs and works the same way. We also use ; instead of , in formulas in Excel.
First screenshot is results in numbers, second is with "show formulas" view turned on. Below that is a fragment of PL-ENG translator of formulas.
4WPMQGr.jpg

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
Hi Bukimi
As I thought, our data set is different
I see that:
Apple 01/01/2019 is twice that is why is turned on row 2 and 6
Banana 09/01/2019 is also twice that is why is turned on row 4 and 8
That is what the formula is doing what you asked: "I need to find which products appear only with one of two dates"
Rows 3, 5 and 7 are only once value 0
Rows 2, 4, 6, and 8 are twice
Cheers
Sergio

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I used the same table that I posted in my first post as example data with the same product names and dates. Therefore, I didn't expect anyone to use different set.

"I need to find which products appear only with one of two dates". Apple appears in database both for 1st and 9th of January, the same applies to Orange. Only banana "appears only with one of two dates" - meaning one date in whole database, regardless of other columns.

Thank you again for your help and effort. I'm sticking to my pivot table solution for now. Is there an option to refer to xlDistinctCount (by adding and using Data Model) by VBA to make all 4 steps automated?

Upvote 0
So you are looking for fruits that appear twice and with the same date only, that is to say bananas yes that apear twice with 09/01/2019, but NOT apples that also appear twice with 01/01/2019 and once with 09/01/2019, I think I can do that

Upvote 0
Hi, bukimi
I don't quite understand the requirement.
But let's try it.
Note:
I'm not sure about which part to delete, you mean you want to keep 1 Banana & delete the rest of Banana?
So I mark it with 0 & 1
I add the last row to show the ones with 0.

Code:
[FONT=lucida console][color=Royalblue]Sub[/color] a1083915a()
[i][color=seagreen]'https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/1083915-how-find-non-duplicated-dates-vba-2.html[/color][/i]

[color=Royalblue]Dim[/color] i [color=Royalblue]As[/color] [color=Royalblue]Long[/color]
[color=Royalblue]Dim[/color] va, vb
[color=Royalblue]Dim[/color] d [color=Royalblue]As[/color] [color=Royalblue]Object[/color]

va = Range([color=brown]"A2:B"[/color] & Cells(Rows.count, [color=brown]"A"[/color]).[color=Royalblue]End[/color](xlUp).Row)

[color=Royalblue]Set[/color] d = CreateObject([color=brown]"scripting.dictionary"[/color])
d.CompareMode = vbTextCompare

[color=Royalblue]For[/color] i = [color=crimson]1[/color] [color=Royalblue]To[/color] UBound(va, [color=crimson]1[/color])
    [color=Royalblue]If[/color] [color=Royalblue]Not[/color] d.Exists(va(i, [color=crimson]1[/color])) [color=Royalblue]Then[/color]
        d(va(i, [color=crimson]1[/color])) = va(i, [color=crimson]2[/color])
    [color=Royalblue]Else[/color]
        [color=Royalblue]If[/color] d(va(i, [color=crimson]1[/color])) <> [color=brown]"x"[/color] [color=Royalblue]Then[/color]
            [color=Royalblue]If[/color] d(va(i, [color=crimson]1[/color])) <> va(i, [color=crimson]2[/color]) [color=Royalblue]Then[/color] d(va(i, [color=crimson]1[/color])) = [color=brown]"x"[/color]
        [color=Royalblue]End[/color] [color=Royalblue]If[/color]
[color=Royalblue]Next[/color]

[color=Royalblue]ReDim[/color] vb([color=crimson]1[/color] [color=Royalblue]To[/color] UBound(va, [color=crimson]1[/color]), [color=crimson]1[/color] [color=Royalblue]To[/color] [color=crimson]1[/color])
[color=Royalblue]For[/color] i = [color=crimson]1[/color] [color=Royalblue]To[/color] UBound(va, [color=crimson]1[/color])
    [color=Royalblue]If[/color] d(va(i, [color=crimson]1[/color])) = [color=brown]"x"[/color] [color=Royalblue]Then[/color]
        vb(i, [color=crimson]1[/color]) = [color=brown]"x"[/color]
        vb(i, [color=crimson]1[/color]) = [color=crimson]1[/color]

[color=Royalblue]Set[/color] d = CreateObject([color=brown]"scripting.dictionary"[/color])
d.CompareMode = vbTextCompare

[color=Royalblue]For[/color] i = [color=crimson]1[/color] [color=Royalblue]To[/color] UBound(vb, [color=crimson]1[/color])
    [color=Royalblue]If[/color] vb(i, [color=crimson]1[/color]) = [color=crimson]1[/color] [color=Royalblue]Then[/color]
        [color=Royalblue]If[/color] [color=Royalblue]Not[/color] d.Exists(vb(i, [color=crimson]1[/color])) [color=Royalblue]Then[/color]
            d(vb(i, [color=crimson]1[/color])) = [color=crimson]1[/color]
            vb(i, [color=crimson]1[/color]) = [color=crimson]0[/color]

Range([color=brown]"E2"[/color]).Resize(UBound(vb, [color=crimson]1[/color]), [color=crimson]1[/color]) = vb

[color=Royalblue]End[/color] [color=Royalblue]Sub[/color][/FONT]

RESULT:

Book1
ABCDE
1PRODUCT NAMEDATECLIENTITEMS SOLDDELETE
2Apple01/01/2019Shop X10x
3Apple09/01/2019Shop X36x
4Banana09/01/2019Cafe Y..421
5Orange01/01/2019Shop Y.31x
6Apple01/01/2019Club A..12x
7Orange09/01/2019Club A..48x
8Banana09/01/2019Shop X..20
9Banana09/01/2019Shop X..30
Sheet2

Upvote 0
Hi Bukimi
I an not sure about the condition that you want but I think is this
Code:
[COLOR=#444444][FONT=Calibri]=IF(AND(COUNTIFS(A:A,A2)=COUNTIFS(A:A,A2,B:B,B2),COUNTIFS(A:A,A2)>1),1,0)[/FONT][/COLOR]

With this set
PRODUCT NAME DATE CLIENT ITEMS SOLDDELETE
Apple1/1/2019 Shop X 100
Apple9/1/2019 Shop X 360
Banana9/1/2019 Cafe Y..421
Orange1/1/2019 Shop Y.310
Apple1/1/2019 Club A..120
Orange9/1/2019 Club A..480
Banana9/1/2019 Shop X..21
Other9/1/2019 Shop X..20

<tbody>
</tbody>
Cheers
Sergio

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi, bukimi
I don't quite understand the requirement.
But let's try it.

I'll try to re-state and re-phrase what it's all about. Database has hundreds of rows. One of columns contains date (one of two, never any other than X or Y) and other column contains a name of product (let's say that there are 10 different products).
I need to find WHICH product(s) appears in database always with date X (and never with date Y), OR appears always with date Y (and never with date X). There may be one ore more products that meet that criteria. Every product may appear many times on the list in database (not only twice).
In my example data only "Banana" meets criteria, as it's only product on the list that appears only with one date and never with the other date (it's always 9/1/2019 and never 1/1/2019).
Finally, I need to delete these identified products from the database (all entries about these products), but only identifying them is good enough.

sergioMabres said:
I an not sure about the condition that you want but I think is this
Code:
=IF(AND(COUNTIFS(A:A,A2)=COUNTIFS(A:A,A2,B:B,B2),COUNTIFS(A:A,A2)>1),1,0)

It gave me these results on the same exact table as in your post:

<tbody>
</tbody>

so I got "1" next to Orange and next to "Other", not next to "Banana"...

Nevertheless, I think that it's not worth the effort to try further with my problem. Excel takes very long time to calculate COUNTIFS formula across many rows, so it's not a good direction (it freezes my Excel for some time).

Upvote 0
I'll try to re-state and re-phrase what it's all about. Database has hundreds of rows. One of columns contains date (one of two, never any other than X or Y) and other column contains a name of product (let's say that there are 10 different products).
I need to find WHICH product(s) appears in database always with date X (and never with date Y), OR appears always with date Y (and never with date X). There may be one ore more products that meet that criteria. Every product may appear many times on the list in database (not only twice).
In my example data only "Banana" meets criteria, as it's only product on the list that appears only with one date and never with the other date (it's always 9/1/2019 and never 1/1/2019).
Finally, I need to delete these identified products from the database (all entries about these products), but only identifying them is good enough.

Did you try my code? How is the result?
Using your example you mean you want to delete all banana?

Upvote 0
Did you try my code? How is the result?
Using your example you mean you want to delete all banana?

Yes, in example data, all "Banana" need to be marked for deletion or deleted.

EDIT: I tested it and got "1" in Delete column next to 1st occurence of "Banana", but not next to the other. It's still very nice.
I'm thinking what is the difference between "0" and "x" in that column?

sergioMabres, You were right. I had extra row (1st) with numbers before real database. Sorry for the confusion. I'll try it on real data, but expect it to hang my Excel.
I wonder if asking VBA to put result of such a formula in each row would be faster than having this formula in all cells at once.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelfromGermany

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back