How to find non-duplicated dates (VBA)

bukimi

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello!

I have a product report that has some columns - one of them is date: one of two specified (let's say that it's always either 1st January or 9th January). Among all products there are few that always have only one date assigned, but still appear many times in the report (because other columns still have different data for them).

Example data:
PRODUCT NAME | DATE..... | CLIENT | ITEMS SOLD
Apple...............|1-01-2019| Shop X | 10
Apple...............|9-01-2019| Shop X | 36
Banana............|9-01-2019| Cafe Y..| 42
Orange............|1-01-2019| Shop Y.| 31
Apple..............|1-01-2019| Club A..| 12
Orange............|9-01-2019| Club A..| 48
Banana............|9-01-2019| Shop X..| 2

I need to find which products appear only with one of two dates and, preferably, delete rows that refer to these found products.
In example data I need to find that Banana was sold only on 9th January and never 1st January, so I need to delete all rows that refer to it.

Is there any way to do it by VBA? The only way I can think of is to add a helper pivot table and then check which product has only 1 row of data, but it's a long workaround.

Thank you in advance for your tips!

Yes, in example data, all "Banana" need to be marked for deletion or deleted.

EDIT: I tested it and got "1" in Delete column next to 1st occurence of "Banana", but not next to the other. It's still very nice.
I'm thinking what is the difference between "0" and "x" in that column?

Well, I thought you wanted to keep 1 banana & delete the rest, so I marked it 1 & 0, the ones with 0 would be deleted. I marked x to distinguish the ones that do not meet the criteria.
But since you actually want to delete all that meet the criteria (i.e 0 & 1) then it won't be needed.
But for now it is easy to delete the ones with 0 & 1, right?
I can revise the code to do the deleting part if you need it.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
It took my Excel 21 minutes to calculate formula accross whole database on all rows (but I did run it on my largest database of 100k+ rows to test it). So unfortunately it's not applicable, yet it works.

VBA code did the trick in 4 seconds! :O It marked all needed products (all of them) with 0 or 1. All other got "x".
I'm not a total novice in VBA, but your code is somewhat a black magic for me :)

PS. I already had code to delete marked items:
Code:
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
For i = 2 To lastrow
If Cells(i, 14) = 1 Then
Rows(i).EntireRow.Delete
i = i - 1
End If
Next i
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
It checks if "delete" column (column 14) has product marked as "1", so I'll just add 0 to criteria.

OK, I got it all. I won't rewrite it to make all 0 into 1 (as 0/1 differentiation os not needed) because I don't know exactly how. I'll just adapt my deleting part.

By the way, big THANK YOU for both you guys!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok, glad you figured it out the deleting part.
Here's a revised code if you need it.
It will use the last column (in row 1/header) + 1 as a temporary helper column.
It will delete all rows that meet the criteria.

Code:
[FONT=lucida console][COLOR=Royalblue]Sub[/COLOR] a1083915b()
[I][COLOR=seagreen]'https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/1083915-how-find-non-duplicated-dates-vba-2.html[/COLOR][/I]

[COLOR=Royalblue]Dim[/COLOR] i [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Long[/COLOR], c [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Long[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Royalblue]Dim[/COLOR] va, vb
[COLOR=Royalblue]Dim[/COLOR] d [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Object[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Royalblue]Dim[/COLOR] rd [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] Range
va = Range([COLOR=brown]"A2:B"[/COLOR] & Cells(Rows.count, [COLOR=brown]"A"[/COLOR]).[COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR](xlUp).Row)

[COLOR=Royalblue]Set[/COLOR] d = CreateObject([COLOR=brown]"scripting.dictionary"[/COLOR])
d.CompareMode = vbTextCompare

[COLOR=Royalblue]For[/COLOR] i = [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]To[/COLOR] UBound(va, [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR])
    [COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Not[/COLOR] d.Exists(va(i, [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR])) [COLOR=Royalblue]Then[/COLOR]
        d(va(i, [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR])) = va(i, [COLOR=crimson]2[/COLOR])
    [COLOR=Royalblue]Else[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR] d(va(i, [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR])) <> [COLOR=brown]"x"[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Then[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR] d(va(i, [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR])) <> va(i, [COLOR=crimson]2[/COLOR]) [COLOR=Royalblue]Then[/COLOR] d(va(i, [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR])) = [COLOR=brown]"x"[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Royalblue]Next[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Royalblue]ReDim[/COLOR] vb([COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]To[/COLOR] UBound(va, [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]), [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]To[/COLOR] [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR])
[COLOR=Royalblue]For[/COLOR] i = [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]To[/COLOR] UBound(va, [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR])
    [COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR] d(va(i, [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR])) = [COLOR=brown]"x"[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Then[/COLOR]
        vb(i, [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]) = [COLOR=brown]"x"[/COLOR]
        vb(i, [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]) = [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]

Application.ScreenUpdating = [COLOR=Royalblue]False[/COLOR]
c = Rows([COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]).Find([COLOR=brown]"*"[/COLOR], SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Column
[COLOR=Royalblue]Set[/COLOR] rd = Cells([COLOR=crimson]2[/COLOR], c + [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]).Resize(UBound(vb, [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]), [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR])
rd = vb
rd.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants, xlNumbers).EntireRow.Delete
Columns(c).Delete
Application.ScreenUpdating = [COLOR=Royalblue]True[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Sub[/COLOR][/FONT]

Upvote 0
Ok, glad you figured it out the deleting part.
Here's a revised code if you need it.
It will use the last column (in row 1/header) + 1 as a temporary helper column.
It will delete all rows that meet the criteria.

Code:
[FONT=lucida console][COLOR=Royalblue]Sub[/COLOR] a1083915b()
[I][COLOR=seagreen]'https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/1083915-how-find-non-duplicated-dates-vba-2.html[/COLOR][/I]

[COLOR=Royalblue]Dim[/COLOR] i [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Long[/COLOR], c [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Long[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Royalblue]Dim[/COLOR] d [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Object[/COLOR]
va = Range([COLOR=brown]"A2:B"[/COLOR] & Cells(Rows.count, [COLOR=brown]"A"[/COLOR]).[COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR](xlUp).Row)

[COLOR=Royalblue]Set[/COLOR] d = CreateObject([COLOR=brown]"scripting.dictionary"[/COLOR])

[COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Not[/COLOR] d.Exists(va(i, [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR])) [COLOR=Royalblue]Then[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR] d(va(i, [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR])) <> [COLOR=brown]"x"[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Then[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR] d(va(i, [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR])) <> va(i, [COLOR=crimson]2[/COLOR]) [COLOR=Royalblue]Then[/COLOR] d(va(i, [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR])) = [COLOR=brown]"x"[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Royalblue]ReDim[/COLOR] vb([COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]To[/COLOR] UBound(va, [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]), [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]To[/COLOR] [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR])
    [COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR] d(va(i, [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR])) = [COLOR=brown]"x"[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Then[/COLOR]

c = Rows([COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]).Find([COLOR=brown]"*"[/COLOR], SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Column
[COLOR=Royalblue]Set[/COLOR] rd = Cells([COLOR=crimson]2[/COLOR], c + [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]).Resize(UBound(vb, [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]), [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR])
rd = vb
Columns(c).Delete

I'm getting "Error 1004: No cells found" on line:
Code:
Is whole VBA code updated to use last column of data?

Upvote 0
OK, I figured that it just doesn't have error handling in case no rows to delete are found.
It also deletes wrong column because it doesn't give helper column a header, yet looks for number of columns in first row (headers) :)
I fixed it myself, by simple "On Error Resume Next" on that line.

Thank you again.

Upvote 0
OK, I figured that it just doesn't have error handling in case no rows to delete are found.
It also deletes wrong column because it doesn't give helper column a header, yet looks for number of columns in first row (headers) :)
I fixed it myself, by simple "On Error Resume Next" on that line.

Thank you again.

Ah, you're right.
We need to trap the error if there are no rows to delete. You got it right by using On Error Resume Next.
And also about the last column, there is no col DELETE, isn't it?

Is whole VBA code updated to use last column of data?
Yes.

Try this revised code:
Code:
[FONT=lucida console][COLOR=Royalblue]Sub[/COLOR] a1083915c()

c = Rows([COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]).Find([COLOR=brown]"*"[/COLOR], SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Column + [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Royalblue]Set[/COLOR] rd = Cells([COLOR=crimson]2[/COLOR], c).Resize(UBound(vb, [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]), [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR])
rd = vb
[COLOR=Royalblue]On[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Error[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Resume[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Next[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Royalblue]On[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Error[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]GoTo[/COLOR] [COLOR=crimson]0[/COLOR]
Columns(c).Delete

Upvote 0
Ah, you're right.
We need to trap the error if there are no rows to delete. You got it right by using On Error Resume Next.
And also about the last column, there is no col DELETE, isn't it?

Yes.

Try this revised code:
Code:
[FONT=lucida console][COLOR=Royalblue]Sub[/COLOR] a1083915c()

c = Rows([COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]).Find([COLOR=brown]"*"[/COLOR], SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Column + [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Royalblue]Set[/COLOR] rd = Cells([COLOR=crimson]2[/COLOR], c).Resize(UBound(vb, [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]), [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR])
rd = vb
[COLOR=Royalblue]On[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Error[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Resume[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Next[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Royalblue]On[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Error[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]GoTo[/COLOR] [COLOR=crimson]0[/COLOR]
Columns(c).Delete

Thank you. I already got both fixes by myself (error handling and adding +1 to column number).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Emilou

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back