How to make a 2003 add-in in Access 2010?

jasmith4

I use Access 2010, but many clients still have 2003, so I have to deal with 2003-format files all the way.

I've developed MyTools.MDB with nothing but macros and modules containing various tools like exporting all objects to text files. I want to make it an add-in so I can open any MDB or ACCDB and run these tools on it. But I'm finding it nearly impossible, and there's absolutely no comprehensible help on anything anywhere.

I start with MyTools.MDB open, I go to File/Save and Publish, click Make MDE and Save As, and I save it as MyTools.MDE. Then I close it, open some other database, click Database Tools / Add-in Manager, cick Add New and point to MyTools.MDE. It tells me something about a missing "USysRegInfo" table. I search the Help for that string, both Access Help and Developer Reference, and naturally I get NO results -- thanks, Microsoft!

So I search the Web for "USysRegInfo" and I get articles about menu add-ins, form and report wizards, table and query wizards, control wizards, property wizards, and OLE custom control wizards. But all I want to do is execute macros and public functions within modules -- what do I do? Couldn't Microsoft develop some wizard which leads you through creating and populating that table??

I may have been looking at this from the perspective of the other database. However, I don't see how it's different from using an addin. If you can reference MyTools.mdb and use it, then remove the reference, then you haven't changed the database. I guess the question is whether you could add a reference to a "read-only database". I suppose another question is whether you can install an addin for a "read only database" too.

The difference is:

- A reference from Tools/References is part of the MDB file (its VB project) -- I proved that as I described above. Yes, for a read-only MDB, you can add the reference and then close the MDB without saving.

- An add-in from the Add-in Manager is part of the machine's Access installation -- it has to be, because I can pull in MyTools.MDE with no database open, and when I re-start Access without opening anything, the menu from MyTools is there.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
One more point: the USysRegInfo table is only for releasing as an add-in: its data determine the menu entries off the Add-Ins tool and which functions they run. It's not necessary if you pull in an MDB as a reference.

Upvote 0
I'm thinking I should try an addin just for the benefit of my own experience - maybe I've been missing out. I believe that SydneyGeek has used them before and found it helpful too.
ξ

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lee_ray

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back