Increasing a cell value by a certain number

anestojaga

Hello! It's my first time posting here and I don't know if this question has already been asked. If that is the case, I apologize for cramping up the threads and I would be grateful if you'd provide a link to the answer to my question.

My situation is this: I have a spreadsheet that consist of 30-something rows and about a dozen columns. All but one of those columns contain certain numerical values - an integer, to be precise. Now, my problem is that these (real life) values change from time to time and I need to update my spreadsheet accordingly. This wasn't a tall task at first, but now the numbers have reached four digits and it's becoming increasingly time-consuming to add them all up. For example, a cell value is 3568 and I have to add 74 to it. Now, of course I can do the math in my head and then just type in the result... but I don't want the hassle. I wan't to save time and do my work as quickly as possible.

So, I would like to know if there was a way to do this more quickly - a built-in function, a macro I need to create, or something? I would be very grateful if someone offered a working solution. Thanks!

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
Which column does not contain numbers? I assume that you want to add a certain number to all the cells except those in that one column. Is that correct?

Upvote 0
Hello & Welcome to the forum,

I suppose what's easy is relative. You're given one example with is pretty easily solved.

Increase Number
  • Enter 74 in some cell >> Highlight cell >> Right click >> Copy
  • Highlight the 3568 >> Right click >> Paste Special >> Paste: Values >> Operation: Add >> OK

Upvote 0
The first column contains text, not numbers. Yes, I want to add a number to all the other cells, but it's not the same number being added to all of them.

Upvote 0
Thank you! Well, yes, I suppose it turned out very easy, which is even better! This is all I needed, thank you for your help.

Upvote 0
Thank you! Well, yes, I suppose it turned out very easy, which is even better! This is all I needed, thank you for your help.

I suppose you possibly mean what is in post #3. Glad it works for you and you're welcome.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just to expand on Jeff's solution, his method will work on multiple cells in case you have to add the same number to more than one cell. As he suggested, put the number you want to add in any cell, right click to copy it, while holding down the CRTL key, click all the cells to which you want to add the number, right click on any of the selected cells and click Paste Special >> Paste: Values >> Operation: Add >> OK.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back