Index Match Formula Issue - is this possible??

Tash Point O

Hi All,

Is this even possible? I think it is, I really hope it is. I need to retrieve the highlighted amounts based off of a match. I have tried various index match formulas to no avail. My match will be the 4 digit id's in Col A. So if you look at B23, in C23 I want to retrieve G10's data. Then in B24 I will have the 5678 and I want to retrieve the next highlighted amount. Nothing is working for me. Here is the last formula I tried: =INDEX(A:G,4,7,MATCH(B23,A:A,0)). What am I doing wrong?:mad:

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
You seem to have a few issues with your example. A6 is 3960, not 3660, and the 56556 values is 5 rows below A18, whereas G10 is 4 rows below A6, and G16 is 4 rows below A12. Assuming that's unintentional, try in C23:

=INDEX($H$10:$H$109,MATCH(B23,$A$6:$A$100,0))

Note the offset in rows, and make sure your ranges extend to the bottom of your data. If your sheet is not in a consistent format, it may be much tougher.

Upvote 0
Wow Eric,

That worked (I changed a few things on my sheet and your formula and it works)!! Would you be able to explain to me why I do not need to reference a row and column number for this and how this formula knows to go 4 rows down? Thank you so much for your help and no worries about answering the question, you've helped already.

You seem to have a few issues with your example. A6 is 3960, not 3660, and the 56556 values is 5 rows below A18, whereas G10 is 4 rows below A6, and G16 is 4 rows below A12. Assuming that's unintentional, try in C23:

=INDEX($H$10:$H$109,MATCH(B23,$A$6:$A$100,0))

Note the offset in rows, and make sure your ranges extend to the bottom of your data. If your sheet is not in a consistent format, it may be much tougher.

Upvote 0
It's an easy enough concept once you see it. The MATCH finds the matching location within the $A$6:$A$100 range, so if B23 is found in $A$6, MATCH returns a 1. Then the INDEX finds the value that is in the 1 position of $H$10:$H$109, which is H10. So the formula "knows" to go four rows down because the INDEX range starts 4 rows down from the MATCH range.

Glad to help! :cool:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeVol

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back