Index-match only works after I click the cell to match and press enter

J01234

Hi all, I have two separate problems. The main goal is to make a list of half-hourly date-times (column B), and then match a bill invoice to these dates.

1) Problem 1:

I typed two date-times and then autofilled below them to keep half-hourly increments. However, they don't stay half-hourly, why? [see Picture 1]

For example, I started typing B2 = "22/12/2015 14:00:00" and B3 ="22/12/2015 14:30:00". I selected both cells and then when autofilling, B4 becomes "22/12/2015 15:00:00" as expected. The problem is at B102 which becomes "24/12/2015 15:59" instead of "24/12/2015 14:00:00"

2) See attached Picture 2 for screenshots and a description of what I did.

But basically, instead of using autofill, I typed B2 = "22/12/2015 14:00:00" and then added half-hourly increments e.g B3 = "B2+"00:30:00"". This didn't have the same problem as above. I then tried to match this to my bill invoice but it returned N/A. To fix the N/A, I had to select my date (e.g. cell B2) and click the formula, then press Enter. Suddenly the match worked. I don't want to manually select all my column B dates and press Enter - how can I speed this up? My calculation option is set to automatic already fyi.

Thanks.
J

Picture 1:
pHFvT4P.png

Picture 2:
7ePRgkg.png

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Sounds like text problem to me. Does this work:

=MATCH(TEXT(F2,"dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm"),K:K,0)

If so highlight the column and then go to data tab, press text to columns and press finish.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestion

I actually made it work by replacing all the / with / in column F

The first problem I had is still a bit of a puzzle though!

Upvote 0
Thats just doing the same thing. You are coercing your textual dates to become true dates. Match wont see a textual date as the same as a true date so wont find a match.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amriddin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back