Indirect Function and Substitute in order to create Conditional Drop Down Menus

XcellGuru

Hello all,

This is my first post on Mr. Excel.com.

I work for a Machine Shop in the Toledo area. We use a quotation sheet to quote our products to our customers. It has 3 cells that describe the Customer, the Contact person at that customer and finally that Contact's Email Address. I have a drop-down menu in each of these cells. The first, Customer, is based off a simple list of our customers. The Contact drop-down then uses the Indirect Function to search the worksheet for that Customer. The drop down is actually based off of a Range Name saved as that Customer's Name.

However the problem is many of my customers have & or , and since Excel does not allow those symbols or even spaces in a Range Name I have to use Substitute to be able to keep the spaces and the & or ,.

It is important that on the Quote Sheet the Name of the Customer is identical to the actual name of the company so I cant use AND instead of &.

Currently my Second drop down, Contacts, has a formula that looks like this {=INDIRECT(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE($H5,"_"," "), "3", "&"), "2",","))}.

My problem is that when I give the Range Name a Name , my drop down doesn't work and Excel tells me that the above formula results in an error.

Please Help

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Welcome to MrExcel.

Shouldn't you be replacing the invalid characters with valid characters rather than the other way round?

=INDIRECT(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE($H5," ","_"),"&","3"),",","2"))

Upvote 0
Ok so Perhaps I should explain some more

The First sheet in the workbook is the Quote

The Second sheet is the Customer Directory

There are generally 3 or 4 contacts for a Company

A Company name is something similar to J & S Industrial Machine Products, Inc.

So I highlight the 3 or 4 contacts for that Company and Create a NAME in Excel
The name is something like J_3_S_Industrial_Machine_Products2_Inc.

So the first drop-down box shows the Company Name as J & S Industrial Machine Products, Inc. The second drop-down box uses the formula {=INDIRECT(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE($H5,"_"," "), "3", "&"), "2",","))} in order to match J_3_S_Industrial_Machine_Products2_Inc. with J & S Industrial Machine Products, Inc.

SO, What Am I Doing Wrong?

Upvote 0
Thank You. That seems to work alright. We will see how it goes as I continue.

This Is Why I Love Forums! Everyone just helping each other. I am more familiar with Car Forums but as I learn the true Ins-And-Outs of Excel I know this will be a great resource. Excel is just such a powerful tool that comes standard on almost any PC, so many people overlook everything it can do and stick to the basics.

Upvote 0
Okay, So I got the Drop-down Menus sorted out beautifully.

My next problem is auto-populating the EMAIL cell. I am using VLOOKUP.
My formula looks like this
=VLOOKUP(H7,Customers!B2:B86,3,Customers!$C$2:$C$86)

Cell H7 is the CONTACT cell, with the drop-down menu. Customers! is the sheet titled Customers. On that sheet Collumn A is the company name, Collumn B is Contact at that Company and Collumn C is the Email Addresses.

Im sure that it is something very simple, just as before

Thank you

Upvote 0
Nevermind, I figured it out. Firstly the Column Index Number was incorrect, and secondly the last bit should only really be TRUE or FALSE. I chose FALSE.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ralemanygarcia

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back