*Third Line
*First Line
*Second Line*Third Line
*First Line
*Second Line
*Third Line

<colgroup><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Basically, all I want to do is look inside the cell for all the * except the first one and replace that with a line break and a "*"

I have over 15,000 cells with a variable number of "*" and I do not want to place a line break if one already exist before the "*".

Thanks in advance for any help.

I am new to the forum. What is the best way to paste a table into the message?

Thank you. You're right Fluff, there was a formatting issue with the extract, I extracted the data again from the database in a different format and it worked how I wanted to with one exception:

If I have say:
***A *B *C ****D

I was hoping to use the above macro to convert it to:
***A
*B
*C
****D

Thanks so much !

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
Thank you. You're right Fluff, there was a formatting issue with the extract, I extracted the data again from the database in a different format and it worked how I wanted to with one exception:

If I have say:
***A *B *C ****D

I was hoping to use the above macro to convert it to:
***A
*B
*C
****D
In your first message, you had no spaces in front of the asterisk whereas now you are showing a space there... is it possible that there might be a space and also no space within your data set, or is it one or the other? Please clarify.

Upvote 0
Yes, reviewing my data it's inconsistent; sometimes there is a space and sometimes there is not. Sorry I did not account for that in my ask. I was trying to simplify it to make this post applicable to more users.

Upvote 0
Yes, reviewing my data it's inconsistent; sometimes there is a space and sometimes there is not. Sorry I did not account for that in my ask. I was trying to simplify it to make this post applicable to more users.
Does this macro work for you...
Code:
[table="width: 500"]
[tr]
	[td]Sub AddLFs()
  Dim R As Long, X As Long, Data As Variant
  Data = Range("A1", Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp))
  For R = 1 To UBound(Data)
    Data(R, 1) = Replace(Replace(Data(R, 1), vbLf, ""), " ", "")
    For X = Len(Data(R, 1)) To 2 Step -1
      If Mid(Data(R, 1), X - 1, 2) Like "[!*][*]" Then Data(R, 1) = Application.Replace(Data(R, 1), X, 0, vbLf)
    Next
  Next
  With Range("A1").Resize(UBound(Data))
    .Value = Data
    .WrapText = True
    .EntireColumn.ColumnWidth = 200
    .EntireColumn.AutoFit
    .EntireRow.RowHeight = 100
    .EntireRow.AutoFit
  End With
End Sub[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Upvote 0
Almost, but it trimmed out the spaces between words in sentences (that was my fault I didn't tell you I was working with sentences):

What it was before Macro:
SCHEDULING INSTRUCTIONS: * Schedule contrast studies at 1500 *Contrast Studies are only scheduled at 3pm. If patient requires more than one contrast study call department. * This is an open MRI * Schedule two business days out if insurance requires precertification. Medicare and Medicaid can be scheduled in the next available slot.

What it looked like After the Macro:
SCHEDULINGINSTRUCTIONS:
*Schedulecontraststudiesat1500
*ContrastStudiesareonlyscheduledat3pm.Ifpatientrequiresmorethanonecontraststudycalldepartment.
*ThisisanopenMRI
*Scheduletwobusinessdaysoutifinsurancerequiresprecertification.MedicareandMedicaidcanbescheduledinthenextavailableslot.

Upvote 0
Almost, but it trimmed out the spaces between words in sentences (that was my fault I didn't tell you I was working with sentences):

What it was before Macro:
SCHEDULING INSTRUCTIONS: * Schedule contrast studies at 1500 *Contrast Studies are only scheduled at 3pm. If patient requires more than one contrast study call department. * This is an open MRI * Schedule two business days out if insurance requires precertification. Medicare and Medicaid can be scheduled in the next available slot.

What it looked like After the Macro:
SCHEDULINGINSTRUCTIONS:
*Schedulecontraststudiesat1500
*ContrastStudiesareonlyscheduledat3pm.Ifpatientrequiresmorethanonecontraststudycalldepartment.
*ThisisanopenMRI
*Scheduletwobusinessdaysoutifinsurancerequiresprecertification.MedicareandMedicaidcanbescheduledinthenextavailableslot.

Will you ever have multiple adjacent asterisks or not (your above example does not show any)?

Upvote 0
Will you ever have multiple adjacent asterisks or not (your above example does not show any)?
Ignore my above question (for now) and see if this macro works for you...
Code:
[table="width: 500"]
[tr]
	[td]Sub AddLFs()
  Dim R As Long, X As Long, Data As Variant
  Data = Range("A1", Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp))
  For R = 1 To UBound(Data)
    Data(R, 1) = Replace(Data(R, 1), vbLf, "")
    For X = Len(Data(R, 1)) To 2 Step -1
      If Mid(Data(R, 1), X - 1, 2) Like "[!*][*]" Then Data(R, 1) = Application.Replace(Data(R, 1), X, 0, vbLf)
    Next
  Next
  With Range("A1").Resize(UBound(Data))
    .Value = Data
    .WrapText = True
    .EntireColumn.ColumnWidth = 200
    .EntireColumn.AutoFit
    .EntireRow.RowHeight = 100
    .EntireRow.AutoFit
  End With
End Sub[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back