Interesting predicament

bobbyddd

Hey guys, i’ve lurked on here forever now and have learned so much. Always considered myself a resourceful guy (been writing my own scripts for games since I was 12) however my actual education is limited. I graduated from college in accounting / finance, not software or IT.

However i’m known as the go-to guy for automation and solutions at my job. I created a basic script that automatically enters medical claims for us, for example.

The current issue is this. We print invoices for around 800 groups right now every month, half on the 10th and half on the 20th. The way we’ve done it for the past 25 years is printing them out, sorting them out by hand into which ones have a previous balance, current balance or a credit balance

I quasi-automated this process over the last week with mixed success.

I converted these PDF invoices that we pull from our database into a huge excel spreadsheet, then I wrote a VBS script to insert page breaks after each invoice, today we had 405 of them - effectively making the excel workbook 405 pages. Then i conditionally formatted the words “previous balance” and “credit amount”, highlighted them pink and blue. Then i filtered the invoices by those colors, found out which page #s they were on, made a separate excel sheet, typed out the irregular page #s, and printed out the invoices by hand, excluding the irregular ones. then i went back and printed only the irregular ones, therefore eliminating the need to sort them by hand.

My question is, is there a better way to do this? For example, if invoices #202, 209, 308 ,315, 398, etc. had previous balances, is there a way I could create a range so i could easily print these from the PDF file? i had to type manually print pages 1-30, 32-34, 36-45, etc. leaving out the previous balances and credits, then go back through and print the irregulars.

PROBLEM 2, when we bill our fund office for our services, we list each group we administer benefits for. This is an enormous spreadsheet, and it lists how many active members there are for each division

for example, it would look like this

DIV ACTIVES
120 45
121 32
122 82

etc. What we do when we bill each month, is pull a PDF invoice that’s 1200+ pages long wth a division per page, print it out and manually type in each and every single actives number in a new column. like this

DIV ACTIVES MARCH ACTIVES
120 45 44
121 32 32
122 82 105

this automatically tells us in the next column how many members each division lost or gained, to know how much $ we should bill the fund (we profit $3 per member per month)

My question is, is there a way to convert this huge odd file to an excel spreadsheet, pull the # of active members for each division, and paste them right next to the previous months? This process takes about 6-7 hours per month to do and it’s extremely pain staking and mind numbing.

Thank you guys so much in advance, I can’t wait to continue my education here.

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
I maybe way off beam with this, if the data is available on a server or in excel, then potential to use Word as a merge and print, adjusting each sheet in order to match the required output based on contextual rules. It would take me ages to actually do that myself, but believe it could be accomplished

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back