Keyboard Shortcut to Return to Top of Sheet?

bencar

Banned user
As a keyboard shortcut I use ctrl + shift + down arrow to select a long column of data when working on a formula. But how do I go back up to the top of the sheet without messing up the formula I'm working on?

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
then type an operator sign (+, -, *, /)... move wherever you have to and then delete that reference it creates by backspacing then you can backspace the operator... if you are in edit mode and select a cell you will edit the formula... so you can only move by changing the scroll position at that point which i dont think has a keyboard shortcut in edit mode

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Press Ctrl + Home, to select cell A1.
Then
Press Ctrl + Shift + End, to select all cells from A1 to the last used cell.

possibly?

Upvote 0
Not fully understanding what you are looking for here. You seem to be on the right track on how to select down, and thus I would presume pretty good at navigating excel via the keyboard, so these are just variations on that:

If you are creating a formula and you are selecting upwards, you can do what you were doing already, but with a different direction: CTRL + SHIFT + UP ARROW.

If you have some blank cells in the column you're working with, keep holding the CTRL + SHIFT portion, and tap the up arrow.

If you have a lot of blanks and know you want to head straight to the top* of the worksheet, press CTRL + SHIFT + HOME (takes you to A1*), then while holding SHIFT, use your arrow key to move the selection back to the single column you started from.

*Takes you to A1 if you don't have any frozen panes (View > Freeze Panes)

Upvote 0
he is in the middle of editing a formula (edit mode) and wanting to select cells without them editing the formula he is in the process of writing... from what I understood

Upvote 0
he is in the middle of editing a formula (edit mode) and wanting to select cells without them editing the formula he is in the process of writing... from what I understood
My big puzzlement is why you would want to select cells while editing a formula... weird :confused:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
afishi0nado

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back