Linear Trend equation not working for actual values

dayday123

Hello -

I have seen a ton of posts on this topic but have yet to find a solution that actually works.

I plotted time series data on a graph and the trend line equation is showing as "y=1E+08x+1E+09"

Therefore I tried to get the actual value of the trend line by using this equation against my data but its not working.

For example based on this formula i got the following for the first 4 values in my time series

original datadata from the equation
11,124,041,0041,100,000,000 (1*10^8)(1)+(1*10^9)
21,353,546,6691,200,000,000 (1*10^8)(2)+(1*10^9)
31,592,063,7141,300,000,000 (1*10^8)(3)+(1*10^9)
41,477,367,2261,400,000,000 (1*10^8)(4)+(1*10^9)

<tbody>
</tbody>

But according to the trend line on the graph by time series 3 i should have already hit 1,500,000,000 and the formula only returns 1,300,000,000

What am i doing wrong?

Thank you so much for your help. I have been trying to find a solution for this for hours already

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
First, it you insist on copying the coefficients from the chart trendline formula, display the coefficients with much more precision.

I suggest using Scientific with 14 decimal points. That works for all magnitudes; and it displays the best precision (15 significant digits).

Right-click the trendline formula, click Format Trendline Label > Number > Scientific, and enter 14 in the Decimal Places field.

Second, it is usually better to enter a LINEST formula in Excel. Select 2 horizontal cells (e.g. F1:G1), and array-enter (press ctrl+shift+Enter instead of just Enter) the following formula:

=LINEST(B1:B4,A1:A4)

where B1:B4 is your original data, and A1:A4 are the corresponding x-axis values (presumably 1 through 4).

(You can omit the second parameter, A1:A4, if the x-axis values are truly 1 through 4.)

However, if the x-axis values are not 1 through 4, you probably have an incorrect trendline in the first place.

Third, keep in mind that the trendline, in this case, is a linear approximation of the data. It might not fit the original data very closely.

In fact, when I chart the data with x-axis values 1 through 4, I see two trends: an upward linear trend for the first 3 data points, and a downward linear trend for the last 2 data points.

So you might get a better fit by treating these as two data sets.

On the other hand, you say these are only the "first 4" values of a series of data. So my conclusion might be misleading.

Upvote 0
thank you so much for your reply joeu2004!!!

1) i didnt realize i could reformat the equation so thank you. i tried that method and it worked!
2) i succeeded with this formula as well!!

so happy i know this now. much obliged!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandan4057

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back