Linking data from another workbook using AVERAGEIF

Drew_

Board Regular
Hi all.

I am using AVERAGEIF formulas to pull data from another workbook, and it works great as long as the source book is open. When it is closed, a #VALUE error returns. I had this same problem with my SUMIF formula but I broke it down and entered it as an array and that returns the correct value when the source book is closed. How do I get my AVERAGEIF formulas to update correctly when the source book is closed? Thank you

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Short answer, you cant, it does not work on closed workbooks.

You could probably get around that using SUMPRODUCT though, what does your formula look like?

Upvote 0
SUMPRODUCT is what I was thinking, but I'm not very proficient with the formula. As of now, this is my formula:

=AVERAGEIF('[Ty stats.xlsx]Averages'!$A$2$:$A$61,"Qualifying",'[Ty stats.xlsx]Averages'!F2:F61)

Basically, if anything in the A column on the Averages sheet in Ty's book says "Qualifying", I want to take the Average of the F column. It's not too complicated, I just want it to work when Ty's workbook is closed

Upvote 0
Maybe something like this?
=sumproduct(--('[Ty stats.xlsx]Averages'!$A$2$:$A$61="Qualifying"),'[Ty stats.xlsx]Averages'!F2:F61)/sumproduct(--('[Ty stats.xlsx]Averages'!$A$2$:$A$61="Qualifying"))

Upvote 0
One more quick question. The formula you kindly provided is averaging columns that have #DIV/0 in them because those cells have not been populated with data yet. Is there a way for my SUMPRODUCT formula to ignore these errors and calculate only the cells that have numbers in them?

I know for certain formulas you can use <>#DIV/0! or something like that, would that work here?

Upvote 0
I think you'll be best served solving the #Div/0! errors in the source book with an Iferror type of function.

If you can't do that, then use a plain old link formula to pull the data into this book, and go back to your standard averageif..

So do
In column A of the open book, do
=IFERROR('[Ty stats.xlsx]Averages'!A2,"")
And in column B
=IFERROR('[Ty stats.xlsx]Averages'!F2,"")

Fill both down

Then use your original averageif function using these columns.

Upvote 0
Fixing the source book with the IFERROR function solved my issue. Thank you Jonmo!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichealRed

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back