Look for a specific word in a cell, look at an array and return corresponding number

val4215

Lookine for a formula that would look at a text cell with many identifiers, look for a specific word then look at an array and give the corresponding number that is associated with the word.
Example:

Blue Ford F-150 V8 auto trans

The formula would look for a specific word like Blue then look at an array such as

Blue 1
Red 2
green 3

and return the value 1

I have been using the IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("BLUE", C7),1, IF(ISNUMNER(SEARCH.........

But I am going to have many identifiers and want people to be able to add to the list without having to write more formula.

Thanks for any help

Have you done the definitions as asked for?

Control+shift+enter is required for the array-processing formulas (See e.g. http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/ArrayFormulas.aspx.)

Control+shift+enter: Press the control and the shift keys at the same time while you hit the enter key. If done correctly, Excel puts a pair of { and } around the formula in recognition.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Sorry I didnt see your reply until I posted the previous post.

In the first variable of the search command I placed the array for the species in the second I placed each of the other arrays, repeating until all three variant arrays were included. I did include the bignum replacement as well.

Thanks for putting up with me.

Upvote 0
Not sure I understand what you are saying. There is no need to modify the formulas. If the string in A2 contains at least a species, the formula will pick that out. The formula in C2 will pick out the a variant the identified species points to.

Upvote 0
{=IFERROR(MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,SEARCH(" "&INDIRECT(LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,SEARCH(" "&species&" "," "&A2&" "),species))&" "," "&A2&" ")),"not available")}

Is what was placed in C2 to locate the variant and return not available

Im sorry am I missing some sort of declaration in the sheet that determines which of the three variants are looked at when the species is identified in B2?

Upvote 0
SO with my limited resources i would like the formula to read

if the formula recognizes the value 1 in C2 it will search the CAT variants and return a corresponding number
if the formula recognizes the value 2 in C2 it will search the DOG variants and return a corresponding number
same for the hamster.

Upvote 0
{=IFERROR(MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,SEARCH(" "&INDIRECT(LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,SEARCH(" "&species&" "," "&A2&" "),species))&" "," "&A2&" ")),"not available")}

Is what was placed in C2 to locate the variant and return not available

Im sorry am I missing some sort of declaration in the sheet that determines which of the three variants are looked at when the species is identified in B2?

Post #9 describes the set up to your specs.

A. "25lb Manx cat" contains a species, that is cat. Cat is the first item on the species list, hence 1. This result is calculated in B2 as shown in post #9 .
B. "25lb Manx cat" contains a cat item i.e. manx that is the third item on the cat list, hence 2. This result is calculated in C2 as shown in post #9 .

Recipe of [A] is: Give the position of the species which can be found if at all in A2. Cat found in A2 >> position of cat on the species list >> 1.

Recipe of is. Search for the items of the species located in A2 in A2: Cat found in A2 >> look for cat items >> manx found in A2 >> position of manx on the cat list >> 3.

Upvote 0
I am sorry that I wasnt getting what you had instructed in post #9

I have never worked with setting up Name Ranges before and your instructions, to my uninformed eyes looked like as if you were restating what the example I had given in the previous post. After searching for tutorial on Name Ranges it all came together.

Thank you for the guidance and your patience.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feaugcruz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back