Excel_Blonde

Hi There,

I'm a bit confused. I appear to have lost my macros.

I have written multiple codes and have created icons at the top of my excel window. These all appear to work fine but when I open up visual basic I cant see them anymore. What have I done? and how do I correct it? Any help is much appreciated.

:confused::eek::(

Edit: I have checked to see if anything has been disabled but nothing has.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
Well they are still there if the buttons do as intended. View-Project Explorer? Not sure exactly what you mean by cant see them.

Upvote 0
Well they are still there if the buttons do as intended. View-Project Explorer? Not sure exactly what you mean by cant see them.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your response.
Usually when I open up visual basic I can see within the Project explorer personal.xlsx which contains multiple modules. But when I open it now all I can see is VBAProject for the file I have open.

Upvote 0
This bit of code will tell you if its open:

Code:
For Each wb In Workbooks
    MsgBox wb.Name
Next

Upvote 0
To make sure everything is clean close excel and then open a new workbook. Press ALT-F11. Right click on the VBA project part for that workbook. Insert module. Paste in:

Code:
Sub LookForPersonal()

For Each wb In Workbooks
    MsgBox wb.Name
Next

End Sub

Press Run then Run Sub/Userform. You will see a messagebox stating the name of each open workbook in turn. If personal.xlsx is suppposed to start at start up of the application then you will see its name.

Upvote 0
Hi Steve,

Apologies, Following those steps to the letter I get a variable not defined error.

I now realise that's because i have option explicit. Only the open workbook is listed when I run it.

To make sure everything is clean close excel and then open a new workbook. Press ALT-F11. Right click on the VBA project part for that workbook. Insert module. Paste in:

Code:
Sub LookForPersonal()

For Each wb In Workbooks
    MsgBox wb.Name
Next

End Sub

Press Run then Run Sub/Userform. You will see a messagebox stating the name of each open workbook in turn. If personal.xlsx is suppposed to start at start up of the application then you will see its name.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So then personal.xlsx is not open so therefore isnt visible. Not sure why these buttons work if they use the personal workbook macros! Do you know where the personal.xlsx is stored? It can be in the XLSTART folder or if you go to file-options-advanced there is an option towards the bottom to open files within a folder at startup.

Upvote 0
So then personal.xlsx is not open so therefore isnt visible. Not sure why these buttons work if they use the personal workbook macros! Do you know where the personal.xlsx is stored? It can be in the XLSTART folder or if you go to file-options-advanced there is an option towards the bottom to open files within a folder at startup.

Its back.

I opened up a file that uses a macro from the personal list and ran the macro (using the icon button) and then when I opened up the project explorer it was there??!! Curious that I did that exact same thing before even posting but it didn't work.....

Anyway, thanks for your help Steve. Much appreciated.

Upvote 0
@Excel_Blonde, just in case you ever have to manually save your Personal workbook make sure you don't save it as xlsx, it has to be xlsb or xlsm as xlsx files can't contain macro's.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charlottedv

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back