Need to insert rows with formulas in Protected Sheet

jshaffer

I am very much self taught when it comes to most things in Excel so I am not even sure if what I am trying to do is possible. I have a worksheet that is being used to track information from the production runs. I have the sheet locked and protected except for the cells I want them to be able to type in as I do not want them to adjust the formulas that are in the sheet. I also need them to be able to insert a new row in they have more than one work order that ran on that machine. I need the formulas to auto populate once a new row is inserted. I have a couple issues I am running into. First even though I have the insert row selected while the sheet is protected it isn't letting me insert any rows. Also I am not sure how to go about having the formulas auto populate once the row has been inserted. I am not sure if a Macro is the correct way to go about this. If so I am not very skilled in them or if what I am wanting to accomplished just isn't possible. If you could let me know either way that would be great. Thank you for the help!

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
I am not even sure if what I am trying to do is possible.

first of all everything is possible in excel
secondly i think creating a VBA code to unprotect the worksheet, do the specific changes you need from the user, and then re protect the sheet would be the best course of action for you.
that way enduser won't mess anything up thats not intended to be changed.

if you supply an example of your sheet via screenshot, direct google doc download, or using mr.excel's table maker.
as well as an example of the end result

anyone would be happy to assist you further.

Upvote 0
first of all everything is possible in excel
secondly i think creating a VBA code to unprotect the worksheet, do the specific changes you need from the user, and then re protect the sheet would be the best course of action for you.
that way enduser won't mess anything up thats not intended to be changed.

if you supply an example of your sheet via screenshot, direct google doc download, or using mr.excel's table maker.
as well as an example of the end result

anyone would be happy to assist you further.

Below I used the table maker to show the sheet and current formulas. The empty cells are the only cells that would be unlocked. Everything else would be locked. I am looking to add a row in between the machines as needed for when additional work orders are produced. Thank you so much for the quick response and let me know if you need me to show you anything else.

MachineProduct NumberPlanned Piece MadePieces MadeDowntime MinCycle TimeEfficiencyReason for efficiency no notes needed when above 85
MM3=VLOOKUP(B4,'cycle info'!A2:E5075,5,FALSE)=IFERROR(F4/E4,0)
MM5=VLOOKUP(B5,'cycle info'!A2:E507,5,FALSE)=IFERROR(F5/E5,0)
MM6=VLOOKUP(B6,'cycle info'!A2:E509,5,FALSE)=IFERROR(F6/E6,0

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
nevermind, after seeing the table maybe formatting the columns out of protection would be best
this article will be able to explain how to do that better than i will.

let me know if that does not solve your issue

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kon123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back