New Twist on Time Conversion Problem

pleasehelpSP

Hi all,

I need to convert a time into a decimal, but also add a specific rounding function. For example, A1 shows the hours and minutes worked in the form of 8:39 (meaning 8 hours, 39 minutes). I want to convert this to a decimal in B1 and also round to the nearest quarter hour.

Where:
Minutes 0-7 = 0
Minutes 8-22 = .25
Minutes 23-37 = .50
Minutes 38-52 = .75
Minutes 53-0 = would round up to the next hour, with minutes at 0

So for the example of 8:39, B1 would need to read 8.75.

I also have a few instances when hours worked will be something like 14:04 - still meaning 14 hours and 4 minutes - I'm having trouble with Excel reading this as military time and only attributing 2 hours and 4 minutes. Anyway to overcome that?

- SP

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Perhaps =MROUND(A1, "0:15") * 24

Upvote 0
Perhaps =MROUND(A1, "0:15") * 24

Ok awesome, that works great!

Here's an even dumber question for you - I am working on a previous employee's worksheet - and for some reason, sometimes Excel formats the time entered in the 12:00:00 PM format and no matter what I do I cant seem to overrule it! It displays correctly (12:00), but when you click on the cell that's when it shows you the 12:00:00 PM format. So it doesnt work with the formula you gave me. I've tried comparing the format to the ones that are correct, but I cant figure it out. I've tried to put it in other time formats but it doesnt seem to switch. If I try to change it to "General" it becomes a small decimal - I've been told thats because Excel views 24 as 1 for the day so 8hrs would be .333. Whats the deal??

Upvote 0
It displays correctly (12:00), but when you click on the cell that's when it shows you the 12:00:00 PM format.
The value you see in formula bar comes from your control panel regional settings for time -- don't worry about it, as long as the time is formatted as you wish as it appears in the cell.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back