(No VBA) Count of a Text Value in a Table Column, Running Total of Occurrences by Rows in a Separate Column

DaddyO

In a table with structured reference:

One column with rows containing multiple text values.

In another column, a running total by row of the number of occurrences in the column one of those text values.

WorL, Running Total Wins
W, 1
W, 2
L, 2
L, 2
W, 3
L, 3
L, 3
L, 3
W, 4

The rows in a third column contain unique incrementing GameID numbers.

I'd like to base the running total in each row comparing the [GameID] value in each row to the value in the current row like this: "<=[@[GameID]]" . But my attempts to create a formula that works have not worked so far.

I do not want to employ VBA, only Excel functions.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
This is not hard, however the request is unclear. Please post the image of a sample table (where you calculate everything by hand) and name the cells that the function needs to fill. Make sure the table has at least 15-20 rows.

Upvote 0
Thanks for you reply. Here is an image of 20+ rows of the columns in question. Let me know if you need any other info.

Hmmm, I added an image via link but it doesn't show up after posting. I'll have to figure what I'm doing wrong. It's been a LONG time since I've been on this forum. Bear with me, please. Looks like I may also need help how to post an image. I'm used to being able to upload images directly to a forum post.

s!ArIAG4a3p8D7h5Z5UfZRbO14n8fQRA

s!ArIAG4a3p8D7h5Z5UfZRbO14n8fQRA

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks, it worked of course. I guess I was stuck trying to do it with structured references. Your solution is much more efficient in this case. Again, thank you!

Upvote 0
I guess I was stuck trying to do it with structured references.
If you did want to do it with structured references (has the advantage that it would still work if a new table row was inserted immediately below the table header row) then you could try this.

Excel Workbook
IS
1DecTm_W
2W1
3W2
4L2
5W3
6W4
7W5
8L5
9L5
10L5
11L5
12L5
13L5
14W6
15W7
16W8
17L8
18W9
19W10
20W11
21W12
22W13
23W14
Count Wins

Upvote 0
Thanks for the St.Ref. help. When I use it it gives me a return of "FALSE." Not sure why, since clearly it worked for you. I just copied and pasted your formula.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArIAG4a3p8D7h5Z8ujgm3t_-HjIcmA

Oh, and thanks for the How To Post An Image help. I had figured out last night that I was overthinking things, that I could just paste the link directly into my post.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Do you have Custom Formatting in those cells?

It just so happens I did have color formatting with a bold font, but when I decided to make this a source table I removed it. So as of now there is no Custom Formatting.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Healthydogs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back