NOOB Formatting/Sorting Question - Help Please

lennyvaknine43

Let me preface by saying my knowledge of excel is very basic and I am learning but due to the economy I was thrown into this position and am grateful to have it so I'm just trying to swim, sorry if this has been answered before but here goes:

I am looking at the inventory list here and was asked to update it / clean it up.
From left to right on the top row it goes "invoice" firm/style/witness" "dos" "referred" "amount" "tech"
Under "Invoice" I have a corresponding number, then on the next row over "firm/style/witness" I have three lines saying the firm / style / witness. When I select all and try to sort it by invoice number, in descending order, it bunches all the invoices one line after the other, and throws everything else off course. Is there a way I can group / marry the invoice numbers to their respective other columns, then sort them as "everything selected will answer to invoice number "xyz" then do something like "sort all the xyz groups by descending invoice number"?
I tried attaching a still of what I'm trying to say but it wouldn't let me. Thanks for all your help!

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
It depends on whether your invoice numbers are in numerical order, if they are not i cant think of what you would do, other than make sure they are in future. If they are in numerical order, move the invoice numbers over to the right of the sheet, into Column A, then select that column and any other column that you want sorted, (make the whole selection at once), then use the "Sort & Filter" function and choose "sort smallest to largest".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back