Open .XLAM as read only when custom toolbar button is pressed

DreadfulDavid

I have an .XLAM file with various macros and UDFs which a dozen or so people use.

I keep a master copy and have the users' copy in a standard location. Each user has customised ribbons with buttons which call the various macros. When a user first opens Excel, the .XLAM file is not opened but does open the first time they click on one of the buttons.

Is there a way to make this opening read only? I want to be able to update the file occasionally without contacting all the users and asking them to close Excel (and hence the .XLAM).

I could code to close the .XLAM file at the end of each macro but then the UDFs would not be available and I don't really want to separate them.

I don't want to change the ThisWorkbook ReadOnlyRecommended to TRUE as this pops up an unwanted dialog box.

I suppose I could make the file readonly each time I update it but this feels a little unelegant (and I'd forget :LOL:)

Ta muchly

David

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vivek chauhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back