optimizing weight of historic forecasts to apply to future forecast

deanwitmer

First of all, I'm an Excel novice and much of the information on here is over my head. With that being said, I'm not expecting to be spoon-fed the solution but would love someone to at least point me in the direction of additional research I need to pursue.

I'm looking for a solution to a forecasting optimization challenge. Let's say that over a given time period, I collected forecasts from 10 individual analysts on 300-400 previously released products. Each of the 10 analysts gave a forecast on each of the products. Because they were in the past I have the actual sales number.

Evaluating all of the historical data on the 3-400 products for all of the analysts , I want to come up with an optimal "weight" of each analyst forecast that rolls up with the other analysts (and their optimal weight) and gets me closest to the actual sales number.

I'm hoping to find a single multiplier (+/-) that can then be applied to each of the analysts future forecast to increase overall forecasting accuracy.

My apologies if I'm not clear. Please ask for any other information and I'll try to make it a little clearer. Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsharae57

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back