Options for mailmerge

lotcloser

Hello.
I created a user form for data entry into excel which is then used to mail merge. I am in the mortgage and what started out 3 years ago as a simple mailmerge for a loan package has exploded into a huge 10 page detailed word document.
I am reaching the end of the 250 column limit for mailmerge and I am trying to figure out what my expansion options are.
I love excel so I am worried if I have to change to a C## program I will look the ability to revise the program.

I just need some advise on where to go next with this. I have several companies that want to buy this program from me but I dont even know the first thing about how to secure it from being copied.

Would I be able to turn this into an App? Would the word doc and excel workbook be able to run together like an app?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to protect what i created but i also would love the extra cash.

Heather

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Word has a 255-column limit for mailmerges using Excel data sources. I'd have to wonder, though, why you'd be pushing up against that limit for a mailmerge. Unless you need all the columns for that purpose, I'd suggest replicating just the ones you do need on another sheet and using that as the mailmerge source. Failing that, you can continue working with Excel and, when you want to do a mailmerge, save the worksheet in CSV format, then use that for the mailmerge. Word isn't restricted to the 255-column limit for mailmerges using CSV data sources.

Upvote 0
THANK YOU for your response.
I do need just about every one of those fields as there is quite alot of formulas required. I am sure there are some formulas I can replace with VBA code but I just havent had a chance.
Do you know if the excel file and word file can be saved as an app on my desk top? I want to try to automate the process as easy as possible.

Upvote 0
If those formula are based on other data that will be in the merged output, do be aware that Word can do a lot of its own calculating. Replacing the formulas with vba isn't going to reduce the column, count, though if you still need to output the results in Excel. To see how to do a wide range of calculations in Word, thus obviating the need to use up columns in Excel, check out my Microsoft Word Field Maths Tutorial, at:
Microsoft Word Field Maths Tutorial | Windows Secrets Lounge
or:
Graham Mayor - Downloads

The Mailmerge Tips and Tricks threads at:
Mailmerge Tips & Tricks
and:
Word Mailmerge Tips & Tricks | Windows Secrets Lounge
also show how to do a fair bit of mailmerge data formatting in Word.

As for your last question, there are commercial Excel compilers, if that's what you mean. I've never used one, though, so I can't tell you if any of them might meet your needs.

Upvote 0
Thank you. I did end up creating some formulas in the word document also but was worried because I read word was not as secure environment as excel. It is good to hear otherwise.

Upvote 0
Word's about as secure as Excel and its formula fields are quite robust.

FWIW, any formula fields beginning with an IF test disappear in a mailmerge output document, leaving behind only their results; other formula fields can likewise be made to disappear by enclosing them in a QUOTE field.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayEggleton

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back