Power query workaround

stuartmacdonald

Can anybody help me. 2 months of support from Microsoft has got me nowhere...

I have a master document (planner) and a series of individual workbooks (timesheets x 10).

Each individual timesheet uses Power Query to generate the relevant individual tables. These tables are then referenced by Power Apps for each individual timesheet app on their phone.

In theory all good, but in practice, an excel table cannot have multiple connections, so when I change the master document the Power Query updates the query, but does not update the actual table in excel, meaning that Power Apps is referencing a static table.

The official Microsoft line on this is: The issue you are facing is known limitation that the SDK excel connector uses does not support external data connections.

Given the time I have invested into this (100+ hours), I need to find a workaround, but have hit a mental block.
Could I possibly have 2 version of each timesheet, one running the power query the other a mirrored copy which could connect to Power Apps, or would this just run into the same problem, as to create the mirrored copy I need to connect to the table?

Happy to share workbooks if anyone has any ideas....

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
I'm not sure I understand the structure nor the task.
Is this correct:
- Your source data is in the master document
- Each timesheet file extracts data from Master for a particular employee using PQ
- Powerapp of each employee is tied to his own employee file and is supposed to update the PQ table in that file

Upvote 0
If the limitation is the connections, what about getting rid of power query for updating the timesheets and do that using VBA instead, then this would "free up" the one connection to the timesheets workbook for use by the phone App.

Upvote 0
Here is an image showing the crux of the problem.
You can see in the 'peek' on the right-hand side that the Power Query is updating from the source, but the table remains static after I make the connection to PowerApps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fglb8c1azovrykb/PQ%20eg.png?dl=0

Offthelip: I have used Power Query because its simple, I don't know how to use VBA, but if that would work then I need to learn. Could you give me any broad pointers to get me on my way?

Upvote 0
Nope, I have tried all refresh options and Microsoft has indicated it's an issue with the connector.... I'm looking for a workaround...

Upvote 0
What does the PQ connection do precisely? Can you perhaps replace it with an old eternal data (legacy) connection using MSQuery?

Upvote 0
The query just filters a table.

I have queries which filter 5 different tables then I have a combine query into make a single table, which is then read by PowerApps

Upvote 0
Am I right in understanding that the powerapp is supposed to write to the final table? If not, please explain more, possibly with a schematic drawing.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chestertim

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back