Power query workaround

stuartmacdonald

Can anybody help me. 2 months of support from Microsoft has got me nowhere...

I have a master document (planner) and a series of individual workbooks (timesheets x 10).

Each individual timesheet uses Power Query to generate the relevant individual tables. These tables are then referenced by Power Apps for each individual timesheet app on their phone.

In theory all good, but in practice, an excel table cannot have multiple connections, so when I change the master document the Power Query updates the query, but does not update the actual table in excel, meaning that Power Apps is referencing a static table.

The official Microsoft line on this is: The issue you are facing is known limitation that the SDK excel connector uses does not support external data connections.

Given the time I have invested into this (100+ hours), I need to find a workaround, but have hit a mental block.
Could I possibly have 2 version of each timesheet, one running the power query the other a mirrored copy which could connect to Power Apps, or would this just run into the same problem, as to create the mirrored copy I need to connect to the table?

Happy to share workbooks if anyone has any ideas....

You cannot have a powerapp write to timesheet.xls and then expect planner.xls to be updated. Powerquery is (as far as I know) a one-way street.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Not expecting to write back to planner.xls, however, your right, the crux of my problem is that the table cannot have multiple connections, so when the workbook is connected to PowerApps, the table no longer updates...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fglb8c1azovrykb/PQ eg.png?dl=0

What I need is another way to create my filtered tables e.g. VBA, but not sure where to start.

Or could I create a mirrored copy of the workbook using VBA and connect PowerApps to this copy?

Or could I use macros to force the tables to update? If I right click and press 'load' I can redraw the table, remove the original and rename it....

Upvote 0
What about using the standard excel method of linking workbooks just with a link? the code below is just a demonstration of how you can automatically link workbooks together using VBA. This will eliminate the powerquery for the updates.
Put the code into a blank workbook and run it. It will set up Sheet1 as a template with the data determining what links are put where. It will then generate a new workbook and create links back to sheet 2 of the original workbook.
Code:
Sub test()
' set up data this is not part of the real code it is just to set up the template for some links
 Worksheets("Sheet1").Select
 For i = 2 To 20
  Cells(3, i) = "B" & i
 Next

'' the real code starts here
addlinks = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A3:Z3").Value
CurrentWorkbookName = ActiveWorkbook.Name

Workbooks.Add
 NewWorkbookName = ActiveWorkbook.Name
 newsheetname = ActiveSheet.Name
' set rown to whatever the next empty row is
Rown = 10

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
      For jj = 1 To 26
        If addlinks(1, jj) <> "" Then
            Windows(NewWorkbookName).Activate
            Worksheets(newsheetname).Select

linkad = addlinks(1, jj)
            Range(linkad).Select
            Selection.Copy

Windows(CurrentWorkbookName).Activate
             Worksheets("sheet2").Select

Cells(Rown, jj).Select
             ActiveSheet.Paste Link:=True
        End If
       Next jj
'       ThisWorkbook.Save

Application.ScreenUpdating = True
' this bit of code is not part of the real code it is just to put some values inthe  linked cells

Windows(NewWorkbookName).Activate
            Worksheets(newsheetname).Select
For j = 1 To 15
 Cells(j, 2) = "Row" & j
Next j

Windows(CurrentWorkbookName).Activate
             Worksheets("sheet2").Select

End Sub

Note I have used this method and created links to over 1000 workbooks on a company network all in different folders from 1 master workbook and it all worked perfectly. It has the advantage that when the "child" workbooks are updated EXCEL automatically updates the master. sometimes it takes a while it certainly updates when you reopen the master.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fionalofthouse

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back