Pull common word from a set of rows not a column

beatdownkitty

I need to obtain the most commonly used value (string) from a set of three rows in 3 category columns and then output this word into the result column. The matching is based off the rows though not the columns. So Row 2's most commonly used word from these three columns is "Marketing"

1Category 1Category 2Category 3Result
2MarketingMarketing #N/AMarketing
3Secure DevelopmentMarketingSecure DevelopmentSecure Development
4Secure DevelopmentSecure Development#N/ASecure Development

<tbody>
</tbody>

The formula would need to take into account the chance of an #N/A value along with cells containing two words in this case "Secure Development." I've tried a few different things but in no way am I anything close to being great at excel...Result column would be where the most commonly used word is outputted.

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Put this formula in D2

=INDEX(A2:C2,MODE(MATCH(A2:C2,A2:C2,0)))

Hit Ctrl+Shift+Enter instead of Enter to use it as an array formula.

This works if you change the #N/A to N/A

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum.

How about:

ABCD
2MarketingMarketing#N/AMarketing

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet14

Array Formulas
CellFormula
D2{=INDEX(A2:C2,MAX(IF(COUNTIF(A2:C2,A2:C2)>1,COLUMN(A2:C2)-COLUMN(A2)+1)))}

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter. If entered correctly, Excel will surround with curly braces {}.
Note: Do not try and enter the {} manually yourself

<tbody>
</tbody>

If there are 3 distinct values, it will return the first. It will have to change if you have more than 3 columns. Let me know how this works.

Upvote 0
That's close but it will report that NA is the most frequent. This should avert that condition:

=INDEX(A2:C2,MODE(IFNA(MATCH(A2:C2,A2:C2,0),0)))
CtrlShiftEnter

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Put this formula in D2

=INDEX(A2:C2,MODE(MATCH(A2:C2,A2:C2,0)))

Hit Ctrl+Shift+Enter instead of Enter to use it as an array formula.

This works if you change the #N/A to N/A

Unfortunately the values in those three columns are created by other formulas so the #N/A to my knowledge cannot lose the #

Welcome to the forum.

How about:

ABCD
2MarketingMarketing#N/AMarketing

<tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet14

Array Formulas
CellFormula
D2{=INDEX(A2:C2,MAX(IF(COUNTIF(A2:C2,A2:C2)>1,COLUMN(A2:C2)-COLUMN(A2)+1)))}

<tbody>
</tbody>
Entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter. If entered correctly, Excel will surround with curly braces {}.

<tbody>
</tbody>

If there are 3 distinct values, it will return the first. It will have to change if you have more than 3 columns. Let me know how this works.

This throws an error "Moving or deleting cells caused an invalid cell reference"

That's close but it will report that NA is the most frequent. This should avert that condition:

=INDEX(A2:C2,MODE(IFNA(MATCH(A2:C2,A2:C2,0),0)))
CtrlShiftEnter

I tried something very similar to this but it produced #N/A as the most used...your formula does the same thing. Returns #N/A as the most used.

Upvote 0
I think #N/A is the key here; it is actually the error condition #N/A and not text. I tested several permutations and the formula with IFNA reports things properly.

Upvote 0
I converted my test sheet to use formulas to populate the table, including the #N/A cells. My formula still generated the correct answers. How does your sheet differ? Are you using the same rows/columns? Did you delete some rows/columns before the table?

Upvote 0
I converted my test sheet to use formulas to populate the table, including the #N/A cells. My formula still generated the correct answers. How does your sheet differ? Are you using the same rows/columns? Did you delete some rows/columns before the table?

My rows/columns are slightly different I made that table as a description of what I had. My three columns are being populated from a VLOOKUP formula on a set of data in another sheet. Each column is pulling data from its own sheet. There is a 4th column "result" which mine is just named "Common Category." This is the cell in which I would be running your formula. I If I hover over the #N/A that is produced using your formula it says there is a circular reference error.

Upvote 0
Here's basically the same table, but I moved it around a bit. The Result column I moved to the right, so it's separated from the other 3 columns.

CDEFG
10Category 1Category 2Category 3Result
11MarketingMarketing#N/AMarketing
12Secure DevelopmentMarketingSecure DevelopmentSecure Development
13Secure DevelopmentSecure Development#N/ASecure Development

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet14

Array Formulas
CellFormula
G11{=INDEX(C11:E11,MAX(IF(COUNTIF(C11:E11,C11:E11)>1,COLUMN(C11:E11)-COLUMN(C11)+1)))}

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

The values in C11 to E13 are all the result of VLOOKUPs. Are the columns all adjacent? If they're not, that would require a modification. Also notice that there are 2 ranges in the formula: C11:E11, which is the 3 cells you're comparing on one line. The other is just C11, which is the leftmost cell in the range. Are you entering the formula as an array formula, with Control+Shift+Enter?

If you check all that, and it still doesn't work, let me know. I'm reaching a bit here.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smiqer

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back