Pull common word from a set of rows not a column

beatdownkitty

I need to obtain the most commonly used value (string) from a set of three rows in 3 category columns and then output this word into the result column. The matching is based off the rows though not the columns. So Row 2's most commonly used word from these three columns is "Marketing"

1Category 1Category 2Category 3Result
2MarketingMarketing #N/AMarketing
3Secure DevelopmentMarketingSecure DevelopmentSecure Development
4Secure DevelopmentSecure Development#N/ASecure Development

<tbody>
</tbody>

The formula would need to take into account the chance of an #N/A value along with cells containing two words in this case "Secure Development." I've tried a few different things but in no way am I anything close to being great at excel...Result column would be where the most commonly used word is outputted.

Here's basically the same table, but I moved it around a bit. The Result column I moved to the right, so it's separated from the other 3 columns.

CDEFG
10Category 1Category 2Category 3Result
11MarketingMarketing#N/AMarketing
12Secure DevelopmentMarketingSecure DevelopmentSecure Development
13Secure DevelopmentSecure Development#N/ASecure Development

<tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet14

Array Formulas
CellFormula
G11{=INDEX(C11:E11,MAX(IF(COUNTIF(C11:E11,C11:E11)>1,COLUMN(C11:E11)-COLUMN(C11)+1)))}

<tbody>
</tbody>
Entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter. If entered correctly, Excel will surround with curly braces {}.
Note: Do not try and enter the {} manually yourself

<tbody>
</tbody>

The values in C11 to E13 are all the result of VLOOKUPs. Are the columns all adjacent? If they're not, that would require a modification. Also notice that there are 2 ranges in the formula: C11:E11, which is the 3 cells you're comparing on one line. The other is just C11, which is the leftmost cell in the range. Are you entering the formula as an array formula, with Control+Shift+Enter?

If you check all that, and it still doesn't work, let me know. I'm reaching a bit here.

So, I did make one slight error when I tried out your formula, I was not using the leftmost cell in the range. When I do, the formula works okay for cells that do not contain an #N/A but those that do return #N/A as the most used value. The columns are all adjacent to one another in columns B/C/D. Column A has the item in which I am using to pull the values for columns B/C/D. I wish I could share the spreedsheet but I cannot. Column E is by "Common Category" where I am getting the information from. I am entering the equation with Control+Shift+Enter. Here is the equation in the field for the first row.

{=INDEX(B4:D4,MAX(IF(COUNTIF(B4:D4,B4:D4)>1,COLUMN(B3:D4)-COLUMN(B3)+1)))}

Here is the output for the first three rows using your equation:

ABCDE
ValueJan CategoryFeb CategoryMar CategoryCommon Category
Value used to pull B/C/D dataMarketingMarketingMarketingMarketing
Value used to pull B/C/D dataStorageStorageSharingStorage
Value used to pull B/C/D data#N/AStorage#N/A#N/A

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
I think #N/A is the key here; it is actually the error condition #N/A and not text. I tested several permutations and the formula with IFNA reports things properly.

You're correct, it is the error condition. I had a formula that I was trying almost exactly as the one you provided but unfortunately neither one are preventing #N/A from being the chosen value when its repeated the most.

Upvote 0
OK, I think I see. You want the most common value in the range, but you want to exclude #N/A from consideration. Try this:

CDEFG
11Secure DevelopmentMarketingMarketingMarketing
13#N/ASecure Development#N/ASecure Development
14MarketingMarketingMarketingMarketing
15#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A
16Marketing#N/ASecure DevelopmentMarketing

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet14

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
G11=INDEX(C11:E11,IF(COUNTIF(C11:E11,NA()),MATCH("*",C11:E11,0),MODE(MATCH(C11:E11,C11:E11,0))))

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Not an array formula, and only 1 range to change. Let me know if this works.

Upvote 0
I just realized that the previous function will return an #N/A if you have 3 distinct non-#N/A values in the range. That may be OK for you. If not, try:

=IFERROR(INDEX(C11:E11,MODE(MATCH(C11:E11,C11:E11,0))),INDEX(C11:E11,MATCH("*",C11:E11,0)))

It works the same as the first in all other cases, but for the 3 different values case, it returns whatever's in the first cell.

Upvote 0
OK, I think I see. You want the most common value in the range, but you want to exclude #N/A from consideration. Try this:

CDEFG
11Secure DevelopmentMarketingMarketingMarketing
13#N/ASecure Development#N/ASecure Development
14MarketingMarketingMarketingMarketing
15#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A
16Marketing#N/ASecure DevelopmentMarketing

<tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet14

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
G11=INDEX(C11:E11,IF(COUNTIF(C11:E11,NA()),MATCH("*",C11:E11,0),MODE(MATCH(C11:E11,C11:E11,0))))

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Not an array formula, and only 1 range to change. Let me know if this works.

Yes that did it! Thank you! I did find an alternative method which was to have an IFNA statement in the VLOOKUPs to set #N/A values to a value of "NoData." This populated the fields for the three columns with "NoData" then my formula for the common category became:

Code:
=IF(COUNTIF(B3:D3,"NoData")=2,INDEX(B3:D3,MATCH(MIN(COUNTIF(B3:D3,B3:D3)),COUNTIF(B3:D3,B3:D3),0)),INDEX(B3:D3,MAX(IF(COUNTIF(B3:D3,B3:D3)>1,COLUMN(B3:D3)-COLUMN(B3)+1))))
If NoData is found twice then it assumes the least selection. This only works because I am looking at 3 columns and your way is significantly more simple.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aurelius33

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back